- Miami Heat News: Heat Sign Former Mavs Guard for Final Roster Spot
- Report: Daryl Macon Has Emerged as ‘Strong Possibility’ for Miami Heat’s Final Roster Spot
- J.J. Redick Says He Would Love to Play With Jimmy Butler Again
- Hassan Whiteside Says Portland Trail Blazers ‘Best Team I’ve Ever Played on Talent-Wise’
- Report: Dwyane Wade Puts Miami Mansion Up for Sale
- Bam Adebayo Offers Take on Which Miami Heat Player Stood Out Most in Offseason Workouts
- Dwyane Wade Gives Glowing Review of Lakers’ Revamped Roster
- Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Alonzo Mourning Ranked as Best Miami Heat Players Ever
- Report: Bam Adebayo Says Miami Heat Pushing Him to Be ‘More of a Leader’ This Season
- Chris Bosh Explains Why He’s ‘Comfortable’ With His Legacy on Miami Heat
Miami Heat News: Heat Exercise Fourth-Year Option on Bam Adebayo
- Updated: September 11, 2019
In a move that certainly signifies their confidence in the young center, the Heat have exercised their fourth-year option on Adebayo, according to the team’s official website.
With this extension, the Heat now have Adebayo on the books through next season. It also offers them more time to decide on whether or not they want to offer the former first-round draft pick a multi-year deal.
He stands to make $5.1 million in 2020-21 and then is eligible for restricted free agency, with Heat potentially offering multiyear deal next offseason if they choose. https://t.co/MllqbsyIV3
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 11, 2019
Last season, Adebayo averaged 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Most of those numbers came with Adebayo coming off the bench. As advanced metrics show, if he were to be given a starter’s workload, his production would likely become quite impressive.
That’s exactly what the Heat are hoping for this season. With former big man Hassan Whiteside no longer on the team, Adebayo is the presumed starting center in Miami as the regular season fast approaches.
With a clear star in his prime in Jimmy Butler on the roster, along with talented shooters and distributors, Adebayo could certainly come into his own this season.
If that progression comes to pass, it is quite likely that this extension would be considered a serious bargain deal for Miami.
It’s up to Adebayo to make sure that happens.