- Several signs pointing to Heat big man Meyers Leonard leaving Miami
- Report: Miami Heat have Paul Millsap and Wesley Matthews ‘on their radar’
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge might be a trade target for the Miami Heat
- Report: Miami Heat are No. 1 on Victor Oladipo’s list if he leaves Indiana Pacers
- Here’s how Kawhi Leonard joining the Miami Heat would become a ‘possibility’
- Here’s what Philadelphia 76ers would ‘very likely’ demand from Miami Heat for Joel Embiid
- Report: Miami Heat have ‘admiration’ for Paul George’s game as big free agency looms
- Video: Mike Tyson confronts Boosie Badazz over derogatory comments about Dwyane Wade’s transgender daughter
- Report: Miami Heat showing interest in promising young guard from Alabama
- Miami Heat’s Kendrick Nunn shows off budding new romance while on vacation
Miami Heat News: Heat Exercise Fourth-Year Option on Bam Adebayo
- Updated: September 11, 2019
In a move that certainly signifies their confidence in the young center, the Heat have exercised their fourth-year option on Adebayo, according to the team’s official website.
With this extension, the Heat now have Adebayo on the books through next season. It also offers them more time to decide on whether or not they want to offer the former first-round draft pick a multi-year deal.
He stands to make $5.1 million in 2020-21 and then is eligible for restricted free agency, with Heat potentially offering multiyear deal next offseason if they choose. https://t.co/MllqbsyIV3
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 11, 2019
Last season, Adebayo averaged 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Most of those numbers came with Adebayo coming off the bench. As advanced metrics show, if he were to be given a starter’s workload, his production would likely become quite impressive.
That’s exactly what the Heat are hoping for this season. With former big man Hassan Whiteside no longer on the team, Adebayo is the presumed starting center in Miami as the regular season fast approaches.
With a clear star in his prime in Jimmy Butler on the roster, along with talented shooters and distributors, Adebayo could certainly come into his own this season.
If that progression comes to pass, it is quite likely that this extension would be considered a serious bargain deal for Miami.
It’s up to Adebayo to make sure that happens.