- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
Miami Heat News: Heat Exercise Fourth-Year Option on Bam Adebayo
- Updated: September 11, 2019
In a move that certainly signifies their confidence in the young center, the Heat have exercised their fourth-year option on Adebayo, according to the team’s official website.
With this extension, the Heat now have Adebayo on the books through next season. It also offers them more time to decide on whether or not they want to offer the former first-round draft pick a multi-year deal.
He stands to make $5.1 million in 2020-21 and then is eligible for restricted free agency, with Heat potentially offering multiyear deal next offseason if they choose. https://t.co/MllqbsyIV3
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 11, 2019
Last season, Adebayo averaged 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Most of those numbers came with Adebayo coming off the bench. As advanced metrics show, if he were to be given a starter’s workload, his production would likely become quite impressive.
That’s exactly what the Heat are hoping for this season. With former big man Hassan Whiteside no longer on the team, Adebayo is the presumed starting center in Miami as the regular season fast approaches.
With a clear star in his prime in Jimmy Butler on the roster, along with talented shooters and distributors, Adebayo could certainly come into his own this season.
If that progression comes to pass, it is quite likely that this extension would be considered a serious bargain deal for Miami.
It’s up to Adebayo to make sure that happens.