- Report: Miami Heat release injury update on Jimmy Butler after scary moment vs. Phoenix Suns
- Ja Morant expresses no sympathy for Miami Heat having to play 8 games in 12 days
- Report: Miami Heat will have interest in Mike Conley this offseason
- Dwyane Wade unveils reason why Erik Spoelstra benched him after he dropped 50 points in 3 quarters
- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
Miami Heat News: Heat Sign Former Georgetown Forward Greg Whittington
- Updated: September 1, 2015
As it stands, the Heat currently have 18 players under contract, three of whom must be cut by October 26th — before the team finalizes its 15-man roster.
Whittington made his presence known in nine Summer League outings for the Heat, averaging 9.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.0 assists. He’s a 6-foot-8 small forward with great athleticism and dynamic playmaking ability. The Heat hope to use him in a backup role behind Luol Deng this upcoming season.
Assistant coach Dan Craig, who serves as head coach for the Heat’s Summer League squad, was generous with his praise of Whittington:
“I think what’s great about Greg is he has a good feel for the game,” Craig said. “He has the versatility to be a playmaker. When the defense puts two men on the ball, we throw it back to him and we get him on the roll. He’s a really skilled playmaker. He makes some high-IQ plays at that four position.”
Even if the former Hoya doesn’t earn a roster spot with the Heat this season, he has likely locked down a starting job with their D-League affiliate Sioux Falls Sky Force, as long as no other team picks him up before the season starts.