- Rapper Jack Harlow releases official music video for hit single ‘Tyler Herro’
- Chris Bosh urges Miami Heat to not sacrifice Bam Adebayo to acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Report: NBA 2K21 rewards Jimmy Butler with stunning player rating after playoff run
- New study identifies Miami Heat fans as most exciting team to follow in NBA
- Kendrick Perkins makes bold claim about Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro
- Report: Miami Heat insider breaks down how team could acquire Danilo Gallinari
- Report: Jimmy Butler amongst stars whose stock rose highest in NBA bubble
- Report: Miami Heat already locking in on their next promising draft prospect
- Duncan Robinson says Lakers trash-talking during NBA Finals included calling him ‘Jimmy Neutron’
- Report: Kelly Olynyk expected to opt in for 2020-21 season with Miami Heat
Miami Heat Rumors: Hassan Whiteside Likely to Ask for Trade After He Opts in
- Updated: June 18, 2019
According to the Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press, Whiteside is likely to ask for a trade after opting into the final year of his current contract.
There is a growing belief that when Hassan Whiteside picks up his Heat option for next season, he’ll do so while asking for a trade. (Also, I don’t think this should surprise anyone. It’s no secret that he wants a different role.)
— Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) June 18, 2019
Whiteside, 30, has struggled to become a consistent contributor in the Heat’s rotation over the last few years. Yet, he has found ways to still be productive. The big man put up 12.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game last season.
While the center’s numbers on the court aren’t awful, it’s Whiteside’s financial numbers that are hurting the Heat. The 7-footer is the Heat’s highest paid player, and will make a whopping $27.1 million next season if he does opt in.
Although both parties’ messy relationship looks like it’s coming to an end, the Heat helped Whiteside make a name for himself in the league with their highly successful developmental program. Now, they’ll have to help the defensive stalwart find a new home.