- Miami Heat release first half of 2020-21 NBA schedule
- Bam Adebayo bestows ultimate praise on Precious Achiuwa while comparing rookie to himself
- Bam Adebayo says he wants to be remembered as top 5 big man of all time
- Erik Spoelstra challenges Bam Adebayo to win Defensive Player of the Year award
- Report: Heat players have ‘chip’ on their shoulders due to ‘fluke’ label on recent run to finals
- Here’s the ridiculous amount of money Duncan Robinson could make next summer
- Tyler Herro on how he became friends with Jack Harlow: ‘Honestly, just both being white’
- Miami Heat point guard Goran Dragic gives promising update on latest foot injury
- Report: Miami Heat exercise team option on guard Tyler Herro
- Tyler Herro’s big personal goal for upcoming NBA season
Miami Heat News: Dion Waiters to Have Season-Ending Surgery on Ankle
- Updated: January 11, 2018
The Miami Heat have dealt with several injuries to key members of their roster this season, but a majority of those injuries have been fairly short-term.
Sources: Miami Heat guard Dion Waiters is expected to undergo season-ending surgery on his injured left ankle. Waiters has received second opinions in Los Angeles to finalize decision, league sources said.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 11, 2018
Waiters had averaged 14.3 points and 3.8 assists per game this season before he went down back in late December. He had injured the same ankle at the end of the 2016-17 season, but elected to forgo surgery during the offseason.
The streaky shooting guard signed a four-year, $52 million contract this past July and was expected to be one of Miami’s premier offensive weapons this season. Interestingly, Waiters could have earned a $1 million bonus if he had managed to play in 70 or more games this season. Clearly, that bonus is no longer on the table.
While it would seem that the Heat would suffer a lack of success in Waiters’ absence, they have actually played some of their best basketball and have won seven of nine games since his injury. Still, it is always a blow to lose a valuable member of the roster and Waiters will surely be missed by both his teammates and fans.
Hopefully, he is able to make a full recovery and rejoin his fellow teammates soon.