- Report: Miami Heat sign promising big man to fill final roster spot for rest of season
- Report: Victor Oladipo could miss entire 2021-22 season after quadriceps surgery
- Report: Luxury watch brand announces exciting new partnership with Miami Heat star Jimmy Butler
- Bam Adebayo’s NSFW reaction to Udonis Haslem getting ejected after altercation with Dwight Howard
- Udonis Haslem’s hilarious comments after getting ejected: ‘I was planning on talking way more s–t’
- Video: Udonis Haslem gets ejected after getting into physical altercation with Dwight Howard
- Report: Miami Heat update Jimmy Butler’s status for crucial game vs. Philadelphia 76ers
- Goran Dragic explains what Miami Heat backcourt must do now with Victor Oladipo out for season
- Miami Heat news: Victor Oladipo to have season-ending surgery
- Duncan Robinson celebrates Tyler Herro’s triumphant return to being ‘killer’ for Miami Heat
Tristan Thompson Says Miami Heat ‘Need’ Dion Waiters to Make Playoffs
- Updated: January 3, 2019
After Miami’s win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night, veteran big man Tristan Thompson had some definitive words about who the Heat will need in order to make the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Appropriately, the player Thompson was talking about – Dion Waiters – had just made his long-awaited return to an NBA game after missing over a year due to an ankle injury.
Thompson, a former teammate of Waiters in Cleveland, reminded everyone just how important of a player Waiters can be.
“He’s a very talented wing player in our league,” said Thompson. “He’s very confident. He’s a Philly guy ’til the day he dies. I’ve always been a fan of Dion. I’m happy he got back out there, he’s healthy, back in shape. They’re going to need him down in Miami if they want to make a run at the playoffs because he brings a different dynamic for their team, kind of different than anyone else. He’s the kind of guy that if he gets going early, he can change the whole game. They’re lucky to have him.”
While he didn’t necessarily change the outcome of Wednesday’s 117-95 win, Waiters reminded fans how vital of a player he can be. Midway through the second quarter, he checked in for Miami for the first time since Dec. 22, 2017 and immediately made an impact. He assisted on a Derrick Jones Jr. 3-pointer before hitting a long 3-pointer of his own.
After a full year away from the court, it was good to see Dion Waiters check into last night's game with 'MIAMI' across his chest!
He finished with seven points, three assists, and two rebounds in 11 minutes.
Exactly what role Waiters plays on this current Heat team remains to be seen, as the team’s revamped rotation has won seven of its last 10 games. Six of those wins were without the 27-year-old on the court.