- Rapper Jack Harlow releases official music video for hit single ‘Tyler Herro’
- Chris Bosh urges Miami Heat to not sacrifice Bam Adebayo to acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Report: NBA 2K21 rewards Jimmy Butler with stunning player rating after playoff run
- New study identifies Miami Heat fans as most exciting team to follow in NBA
- Kendrick Perkins makes bold claim about Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro
- Report: Miami Heat insider breaks down how team could acquire Danilo Gallinari
- Report: Jimmy Butler amongst stars whose stock rose highest in NBA bubble
- Report: Miami Heat already locking in on their next promising draft prospect
- Duncan Robinson says Lakers trash-talking during NBA Finals included calling him ‘Jimmy Neutron’
- Report: Kelly Olynyk expected to opt in for 2020-21 season with Miami Heat
Miami Heat’s Derrick Jones Jr. Says He Wants to Be Defensive Player of the Year
- Updated: June 26, 2019
One of those young pieces, Derrick Jones Jr., is setting his sights high as he aims to one day be the Defensive Player of the Year.
DJJ just said Kyrie is his favorite player to guard because of the challenge. Says he wants to be Defensive Player of the Year in the future
— alex (@tropicalblanket) June 26, 2019
Jones, 22, experienced a renaissance last year with the Heat after a subpar start to his career in Phoenix.
The 6-foot-7 pogo stick put up a career-high 7.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per game last season. Despite being known for his thunderous dunks, Jones blossomed into a solid rotational player and contributor off the bench for the Heat.
With the forward expected to get more playing next time next season, he is working on enhancing and expanding his game. While swipes and rejections haven’t been the primary weapons of Jones’ arsenal, the three-year pro will get plenty of time to show off his defensive prowess next season.
The high-flyer has career averages of 5.8 points and 3.2 rebounds per game.