- LeBron James dedicates incredible 8-photo tribute to Dwyane Wade for his birthday
- Report: Miami Heat release injury report for Monday’s matchup vs. Detroit Pistons
- Jimmy Butler shares video of Dwyane Wade’s hilarious karaoke performance to celebrate his birthday
- James Harden salutes Dwyane Wade for inspiring message of support after Nets debut
- Bam Adebayo calls out teammates for not living up to Miami Heat culture after blowout loss
- Report: There appears to be ‘mutual interest’ between Miami Heat and Victor Oladipo
- Report: Miami Heat not willing to part with Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson and Precious Achiuwa for Bradley Beal
- Report: Miami Heat list 11 players on injury report ahead of game vs. Detroit Pistons
- Erik Spoelstra refuses to use ‘fatigue’ as excuse for Miami Heat’s recent losses
- Video: Chris Silva obliterates Joel Embiid with nasty block during Heat-76ers game
Miami Heat’s Derrick Jones Jr. Says He Wants to Be Defensive Player of the Year
- Updated: June 26, 2019
One of those young pieces, Derrick Jones Jr., is setting his sights high as he aims to one day be the Defensive Player of the Year.
DJJ just said Kyrie is his favorite player to guard because of the challenge. Says he wants to be Defensive Player of the Year in the future
— alex (@tropicalblanket) June 26, 2019
Jones, 22, experienced a renaissance last year with the Heat after a subpar start to his career in Phoenix.
The 6-foot-7 pogo stick put up a career-high 7.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per game last season. Despite being known for his thunderous dunks, Jones blossomed into a solid rotational player and contributor off the bench for the Heat.
With the forward expected to get more playing next time next season, he is working on enhancing and expanding his game. While swipes and rejections haven’t been the primary weapons of Jones’ arsenal, the three-year pro will get plenty of time to show off his defensive prowess next season.
The high-flyer has career averages of 5.8 points and 3.2 rebounds per game.