- Report: Udonis Haslem Joins LeBron James in Fight Against Black Voter Suppression
- Report: Miami Heat Interested in Acquiring Denver Nuggets’ Paul Millsap This Summer
- Meyers Leonard Fires NSFW Shot at NASCAR Driver for Quitting Because of Confederate Flag Ban
- Mario Chalmers Indicates He’s Ready to Replace NBA Players That Aren’t Willing to Return This Season
- Report: Miami Heat Players ‘All in’ for Restarting Season, Aren’t Pushing NBA to Change Protocols
- Chris Silva Opens Up About Heartbreaking Loss of Former Coach and ‘Father Figure’
- Report: Miami Heat Have ‘Made It Known’ They’ll Target Giannis Antetokounmpo, Victor Oladipo in 2021
- Report: ‘Faction of Players’ Discussing If NBA Restart Is ‘Good Idea’
- Video: Dwyane Wade, Erik Spoelstra Show Udonis Haslem Love During Massive Birthday Extravaganza
- Dwyane Wade Reminisces on His Iconic Pregame Routine With Miami Heat
Jimmy Butler Hints on Social Media That He Could Be Joining Miami Heat
- Updated: June 30, 2019
However, Butler appears confident that a trade is imminent, given his response to a challenge from a retired NFL star.
ASAP after I get a contract done.. you’ll be the first I call. I want the footrace first tho. Slow ass. https://t.co/kdSlQTpBaI
Butler is on the verge of becoming a free agent, which would effectively eliminate the Heat’s chances of acquiring him. That’s because their current salary-cap situation precludes them from signing Butler or any other major free agent.
The 41-year-old Johnson is a Miami native who was an NFL wide receiver for 12 seasons, the first 10 of which were with the Cincinnati Bengals. Over those dozen seasons, he caught 766 passes and was known for outlandish stunts, such as briefly changing his name to Chad Ochocinco, which was meant to represent his uniform number (85). He closed out his NFL career in 2012 with the Miami Dolphins.
If the Heat are successful making this trade, some of their current players will be sent to the 76ers in return for Butler. The most notable name mentioned is Josh Richardson, though other reports indicate that point guard Goran Dragic could be part of such a trade package.
In the days leading up to the start of free agency, Butler has expressed a willingness to play for the Heat. He played collegiately at Marquette University, like Heat legend Dwyane Wade, with news of a possible deal for Butler resulting in Wade joking about coming out of retirement to team with Butler.