- Report: Udonis Haslem Joins LeBron James in Fight Against Black Voter Suppression
- Report: Miami Heat Interested in Acquiring Denver Nuggets’ Paul Millsap This Summer
- Meyers Leonard Fires NSFW Shot at NASCAR Driver for Quitting Because of Confederate Flag Ban
- Mario Chalmers Indicates He’s Ready to Replace NBA Players That Aren’t Willing to Return This Season
- Report: Miami Heat Players ‘All in’ for Restarting Season, Aren’t Pushing NBA to Change Protocols
- Chris Silva Opens Up About Heartbreaking Loss of Former Coach and ‘Father Figure’
- Report: Miami Heat Have ‘Made It Known’ They’ll Target Giannis Antetokounmpo, Victor Oladipo in 2021
- Report: ‘Faction of Players’ Discussing If NBA Restart Is ‘Good Idea’
- Video: Dwyane Wade, Erik Spoelstra Show Udonis Haslem Love During Massive Birthday Extravaganza
- Dwyane Wade Reminisces on His Iconic Pregame Routine With Miami Heat
Report: Erik Spoelstra to Miss Game vs. Boston Celtics Due to Family Emergency
- Updated: December 4, 2019
Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra will reportedly miss Wednesday’s game against the Boston Celtics for the birth of his second son. Heat assistant coach Dan Craig will be the head coach for the Heat against the Celtics.
Erik Spoelstra not with Heat tonight. He has returned to Miami for the birth of his second son. Dan Craig will coach.
— Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) December 4, 2019
In March of 2018, Spoelstra missed a game against the Indiana Pacers to attend the birth of his first son. Craig was also the head coach for the Heat in that game. The Heat wound up losing that game in overtime by a score of 113-107.
Spoelstra has been the Heat’s head coach since the 2008-09 season, compiling a 538-368 record with two NBA championships and four NBA Finals appearances. He’s the franchise leader in regular season wins (538) and playoff wins (71).
Craig has experience as a head coach, having led the Heat’s Summer League team from 2013 to 2015 and the Heat’s G League team, the Sioux Falls Skyforce, in 2015-16, when they won a championship.