- Ja Morant expresses no sympathy for Miami Heat having to play 8 games in 12 days
- Report: Miami Heat will have interest in Mike Conley this offseason
- Dwyane Wade unveils reason why Erik Spoelstra benched him after he dropped 50 points in 3 quarters
- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
Top 5 Reasons to Be Hyped for Next Season If You’re a Miami Heat Fan
- Updated: August 5, 2015
The Miami Heat are about to start a new era.
When you take a look at the Heat’s roster for this upcoming season, it’s hard to believe the team is just months removed from a 37-45 non-playoff season.
The roster matches up with the very best the Eastern Conference has to offer. The Heat have three former All-Stars, an emerging young center and a former All-NBA selection in its starting lineup. With the exception of a select few players such as Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, the lineup looks drastically different compared to the team that took the court for the 2014 NBA Finals.
“They’re going to be a contender. I think Miami is doing some great things. They drafted the kid out of Duke, Justise (Winslow). I think he’s going to be a really good player. They’ve added some big pieces. They signed Amar’e (Stoudemire), I saw that. And Gerald Green is a big piece, I think, as well, coming from Phoenix. And the re-signing of (Goran) Dragic, and C-B coming back, one of my good friends, he’s coming back off of injury, and by getting D-Wade back, they’re going to be a contender.”
In other words, Heat Nation is in for a treat as the team looks ready to return to contender status.
Here are the top five reasons why Heat fans should be hyped for this upcoming season.
1. Will Dwyane Wade Live Up to $20 Million?
There’s no doubt that Wade is the face of the franchise.
He has won three championships and an NBA Finals MVP during his 12 years in Miami. When he opted out of his contract which would have paid him a little over $16 million for this upcoming season, he did it with the intention that he’d receive more money and a longer commitment from the organization.
Well, he got one of the two.
Pat Riley gave the Heat superstar a $20 million salary, but on a one-year deal. This is the perfect compromise for both sides. Wade will receive the money that he coveted, and the franchise avoids locking themselves in a long-term commitment just in case Wade deteriorates as he turns 34 years old this season.
While his play may decline, that was not the case last season. Despite James departing from Miami, Wade ranked 11th in points per game while carrying a depleted Heat team.
As he enters his 13th pro season after another a year of ailments, will Wade prove to the franchise that he’s worth $20 million a year and a long-term contract for next summer?
Next: New Additions