- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
Report: Miami Heat Suspend Dion Waiters 10 Games for ‘Conduct Detrimental to Team’
- Updated: November 10, 2019
The suspension is for 10 games and includes Friday’s night’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Miami Heat have suspended guard Dion Waiters 10 games for "conduct detrimental to the team."
The suspension began with Friday night's loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, when Waiters was not with the team for the game at Staples Center.
— Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) November 10, 2019
During the team’s flight into Los Angeles to face the Lakers, Waiters suffered a seizure on the team plane. The apparent cause was his ingesting of an excess of THC-infused gummies.
The Heat and Waiters have continually been at odds since training camp, with the length of this second suspension clearly indicating their aggravation with the veteran. Waiters was suspended for the team’s opener on Oct. 23, but has yet to play this season.
As a result of the suspension, Waiters will not be able to collect the $1.15 million bonus that was part of the four-year contract he signed in 2017. That bonus was for playing in at least 70 regular season contests. Prior to inking that deal, Waiters was attempting to deal with a nagging injury that ultimately caused him to miss large portions of the past two seasons.
The Heat’s frustration with Waiters has led them to pursue possible trades, but there have yet to be any serious bidders for his services. In light of this most recent suspension, the likely level of interest should drop even further.