- Bam Adebayo elaborates on challenges of facing Anthony Davis and Dwight Howard
- Erik Spoelstra remarks on keys to LeBron James’ ‘greatness’ ahead of NBA Finals clash
- Report: Miami Heat could offer Montrezl Harrell big one-year deal this offseason
- Video: Tyler Herro claps back at Paul Pierce for refusing to call him a ‘bucket’
- Report: Miami Heat requested not to have confetti after advancing to NBA Finals
- Udonis Haslem uses perfect analogy while throwing low-key shade at Jimmy Butler’s previous teams
- Dwyane Wade reveals who he’s rooting for in NBA Finals between LeBron James and Miami Heat
- Numerous Miami Heat players react to making NBA Finals via social media
- Video: Heat fans seen going berserk in Miami after team advances to NBA Finals
- Video: Jimmy Butler discusses having to go through LeBron James-Led team to get to promised land
Report: Miami Heat Waive Yante Maten, Create Necessary Cap Space to Bring Back Udonis Haslem
- Updated: July 29, 2019
With just 10 players under fully guaranteed contracts for the 2019-20 season, the Heat have some decisions to make when it comes to filling out what will likely be a 13- or 14- player roster. One of those players may be franchise icon and longtime veteran Udonis Haslem.
Releasing Maten opened up the necessary cap space under the hard cap to sign Haslem should he choose to return for another season.
Most recently, Haslem spoke out about his pending decision on Instagram, reminding fans and haters alike to let him make his own decision on what his next career step is. Considering the associated image was of the veteran working out in the gym, it seems he is leaning towards a return to the NBA.
“Thursday also is the deadline for the Heat to guarantee the contract of forward Derrick Jones Jr. for the season and to increase the guarantee of guard Kendrick Nunn from $50,000 to $150,000,” he wrote.
“With only the announcement of the Maten move on Monday, it makes it likely that Jones and Nunn will receive their upcoming guarantees.”
For the moment, it seems the Heat know what they plan to do with their roster through the rest of the offseason. Though considering recent reports, it appears likely that they will continue to try to add additional stars, which could certainly shake things up quite a bit.