- Report: Miami Heat will have interest in Mike Conley this offseason
- Dwyane Wade unveils reason why Erik Spoelstra benched him after he dropped 50 points in 3 quarters
- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
Report: Miami Heat Waive Yante Maten, Create Necessary Cap Space to Bring Back Udonis Haslem
- Updated: July 29, 2019
With just 10 players under fully guaranteed contracts for the 2019-20 season, the Heat have some decisions to make when it comes to filling out what will likely be a 13- or 14- player roster. One of those players may be franchise icon and longtime veteran Udonis Haslem.
Releasing Maten opened up the necessary cap space under the hard cap to sign Haslem should he choose to return for another season.
Most recently, Haslem spoke out about his pending decision on Instagram, reminding fans and haters alike to let him make his own decision on what his next career step is. Considering the associated image was of the veteran working out in the gym, it seems he is leaning towards a return to the NBA.
“Thursday also is the deadline for the Heat to guarantee the contract of forward Derrick Jones Jr. for the season and to increase the guarantee of guard Kendrick Nunn from $50,000 to $150,000,” he wrote.
“With only the announcement of the Maten move on Monday, it makes it likely that Jones and Nunn will receive their upcoming guarantees.”
For the moment, it seems the Heat know what they plan to do with their roster through the rest of the offseason. Though considering recent reports, it appears likely that they will continue to try to add additional stars, which could certainly shake things up quite a bit.