- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
- Report: Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem dragged into $160,000 eviction lawsuit over Miami pizzeria
Report: Bam Adebayo ‘Will Be Inside the Loop’ of Miami Heat’s Attempt to Acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Updated: July 28, 2020
That complicates things for Adebayo’s extension as the Heat reportedly could bypass that option this offseason in order to land Antetokounmpo in the near future.
However, according to the Sun Sentinel’s Ira Winderman, Adebayo will be in the loop as the Heat approach both his extension and Antetokounpo’s free agency.
“No, no, no, that’s not what anyone is saying,” Winderman began when replying to a fan’s insinuation that the Heat would not be paying Adebayo. “While an ESPN article about the NBA’s tough economic times mentioned how putting off Bam Adebayo’s rookie-scale extension this coming offseason looms as a possibility, it was more in the context of maximizing the Heat’s buying power on the 2021 free-agency market (also known as the summer of Giannis Antetokounmpo). But that doesn’t mean if Bam wants his now that the Heat will stonewall. They cannot let it get contentious, and won’t. The advantage is that Bam and Giannis share the same agent, so Bam effectively will be inside the loop on both ends. And while Dwyane Wade stands somewhat as an outlier, the Heat have largely come through for players they have asked to wait. Still, this is an economic climate like no other in NBA history, a time when the assurance of future guaranteed salary might trump all. So if Giannis were to extend with the Bucks this offseason, then it would leave the Heat in no position not to follow up in a similar extension manner with Bam. But it is not about saving money on the immediate payroll. There are far more layers to the machinations than that.”
Essentially, the Heat and Adebayo will be in the know regarding Antetokounmpo’s plans. This could certainly Help Miami devise a strategy to land the defending MVP.
The Heat and the Bucks could meet in the NBA playoffs this season, as the NBA is set to resume later this week.