- Report: James Johnson Unlikely to Play in Miami Heat’s Season Opener
- Report: Dwyane Wade to Become TNT Analyst After Signing Deal With WarnerMedia
- Jimmy Butler Says He Wants to Stay With Miami Heat for Rest of Career
- Dwyane Wade Posts Video of Sick Zaire Wade-LeBron James Jr. Alley-Oop
- Report: Bam Adebayo Working With Chris Bosh on How to Stretch Floor
- Goran Dragic Graciously Accepting Role Off Bench for Miami Heat
- Miami Heat News: Zion Williamson Won’t Make Appearance in Miami This Season
- Jimmy Butler Sees Himself in Tyler Herro: ‘He Don’t Give a Damn’
- Report: Dion Waiters Suspension Led to Relief Within Miami Heat Organization
- Report: Miami Heat Have Been Trying to Trade Dion Waiters Since Last Christmas
Report: Miami Heat’s Reluctance to Include ‘Young Guys’ Led to Houston Rockets Landing Russell Westbrook
- Updated: July 12, 2019
When the Houston Rockets offered draft picks and pick swaps, that allegedly sealed the deal for the Oklahoma City Thunder to send Westbrook to Houston.
According to earlier reports, the Heat were hesitant to include Adebayo and Herro in any trade offer for the 2016-17 MVP. Both players are considered important pieces to the Heat’s future and a deal for Westbrook would have sabotaged that future since they would have had to absorb the four years and $171 million remaining on his contract.
The Thunder were also said to be interested in Winslow, although he was not necessarily considered untouchable, unlike Adebayo and Herro.
In the end, the Rockets’ offer was just too good for the Thunder to pass up. They jumped at the chance when they were given the opportunity.
With Chris Paul switching over to Oklahoma City as a result of the Westbrook trade, it remains to be seen what plans the Thunder have for the former All-Star.
Per a Thursday report, the Heat could be one team that is interested in obtaining him.