- Report: Miami Heat Have Interest in DeMarcus Cousins If Not Signed By Lakers
- Chris Paul Reveals Time When He, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade Almost Teamed Up
- J.R. Smith Predicts Miami Heat Will Meet Los Angeles Lakers in NBA Finals
- Report: Jimmy Butler Questionable for Wednesday’s Game vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Bam Adebayo Joins Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon and Chris Webber With Masterful Performance
- 50 Cent Sparks Controversy After Sharing Tasteless Meme About Dwyane Wade’s Daughter
- Dwyane Wade Applauds Sabrina Ionescu’s ‘Unreal’ Accomplishment
- Bam Adebayo on Heat’s Embarrassing Loss to Cavs: ‘It Can’t Get Worse Than This’
- Miami Heat News: Biscayne Boulevard to Be Renamed Dwyane Wade Boulevard
- Dwyane Wade Dedicates Social Media Post to Kobe Bryant
Miami Heat Rumors: Heat Now a Potential Destination for Chris Paul
- Updated: July 11, 2019
The Miami Heat missed out on superstar point guard Russell Westbrook after he was traded to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul and multiple draft picks on Thursday night.
But with Paul now with the Oklahoma City Thunder, the stage is reportedly set for the Heat to pursue the former All-Star point guard.
Houston hoped to find third-team destination preferable to Chris Paul, but ultimately leaves it OKC to execute next step once Presti confers w/ CP3 agent Leon Rose. Miami remains possibility for Paul (3 years, $124M) — and OKC obviously has picks to incentivize deal, if needed.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) July 12, 2019
Paul, on paper, appears to be a financially more viable option for the Heat. Though Paul and Westbrook have similar salaries heading into the 2019-20 season, the three-year, $124 million remaining on the former’s contract is much more palatable than the latter’s four-year, $171 million outstanding salary.
Moreover, the Thunder have a plethora of draft picks that would entice the Heat to pull the trigger on a possible deal. The Heat will have to put together a number of players in a potential deal to the Thunder to match Paul’s incoming $38.5 million salary for this season.