- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
Report: Bam Adebayo’s extension doesn’t close the door on Miami Heat landing Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Updated: November 25, 2020
Though the massive contract for Adebayo does complicate the Heat’s plans of going after a star next summer, one NBA executive is still confident that the Heat have a chance of acquiring two-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo.
“I think they are totally separate decisions,” one Eastern Conference executive told HoopsHype in regards to Adebayo’s deal and Antetokounmpo’s possible supermax extension with the Bucks. “If Giannis wants to go to Miami, he will find a way to get to Miami. I think, if anything, they want to keep that agent happy, and if he wants Bam extended, you do it. Miami has always been creative in finding ways to get things done. The bottom line is you have to do right by your players first. He’s not in a position to risk injury and could affect how he feels about the team long-term if they do not take care of him now.”
This statement rings especially true given the previous report that Antetokounmpo would be “more impressed” if the Heat re-signed Adebayo rather than make him play another season without an extension.
Now, with their young star locked up for the foreseeable future, the Heat front office can start to really evaluate the landscape across the rest of the NBA.
It’s no secret that the team wants to add another star to pair with Adebayo and Jimmy Butler.
Whether it’s Antetokounmpo or someone else, Heat fans should not be surprised to see another massive contract doled out to a star in South Florida in the near future.