- Report: Miami Heat Have Interest in DeMarcus Cousins If Not Signed By Lakers
- Chris Paul Reveals Time When He, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade Almost Teamed Up
- J.R. Smith Predicts Miami Heat Will Meet Los Angeles Lakers in NBA Finals
- Report: Jimmy Butler Questionable for Wednesday’s Game vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Bam Adebayo Joins Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon and Chris Webber With Masterful Performance
- 50 Cent Sparks Controversy After Sharing Tasteless Meme About Dwyane Wade’s Daughter
- Dwyane Wade Applauds Sabrina Ionescu’s ‘Unreal’ Accomplishment
- Bam Adebayo on Heat’s Embarrassing Loss to Cavs: ‘It Can’t Get Worse Than This’
- Miami Heat News: Biscayne Boulevard to Be Renamed Dwyane Wade Boulevard
- Dwyane Wade Dedicates Social Media Post to Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade Offers Words of Encouragement to Dion Waiters After Latest Fallout
- Updated: December 19, 2019
Waiters, who is currently serving his third suspension of the season, hasn’t played a single minute of meaningful basketball this season.
“It’s unfortunate what’s going on with him,” Wade said. “The kid loves to hoop. What we’re seeing right now is now that the game was taken away from him, he doesn’t know how to deal with it.
“He came out and said that last year being hurt, trying to come back and live up to whatever these expectations were. He was disappointed in himself how he played last year. When he doesn’t have hoop, he doesn’t know how to navigate through this world.
“Once again, that tells you, you taking kids out of inner city and throw them in this big world and expect them to be perfect. But you’re not. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of instances that Dion is going through to get you to understand and to learn.
“Hopefully he can catch it before it’s too late and he’s not looking on the outside looking in and saying ‘Man, I want to get back in and get another opportunity.’ Hopefully people around him can continue to keep guiding him and let him know don’t let this opportunity you have slide away.
“He’s a hooper. He’s one of the best when healthy, Pat Riley, when he’s in shape, when his mind is right. But you’ve got to understand. It’s not so easy to say he should do X, Y and Z. That’s not how he was raised. It’s a tough situation.”
Wade went on to express that he holds nothing but love for Waiters.
“That’s my little brother,” he said. “Before he became a Miami Heat, we stayed in contact.”
It’s certainly been sad to watch Waiters’ tenure with the Heat spiral out of control. Following his latest suspension, it was reported that the Heat are now determined to part ways with the guard.
Considering his nearly non-existent trade value and the fact that a buyout seems unlikely due to the money still left on his contract, it will be interesting to see how the Heat front office tries to navigate the situation.
No matter what happens with Waiters from here, it seems Wade will certainly be in his corner hoping that it all works out.