- Report: Miami Heat Players Look Forward to Practice Thanks to Jimmy Butler’s ‘Laid-Back Presence’
- Report: There Have Been ‘3 Other Events’ Involving Dion Waiters That Haven’t Been Reported
- Dwyane Wade Unveils His All-Time Starting 5 of Former Teammates
- Report: Miami Heat Expected to Trade Problematic Dion Waiters
- Kendrick Nunn Reveals Wisdom Dwyane Wade Imparted on Him in Los Angeles
- Report: Dion Waiters Panic Attack Has Been Disputed by Source With Direct Knowledge
- Kevin Durant Urges Dwyane Wade to Come Out of Retirement
- Chris Bosh Claims Kendrick Nunn Has Been Best Rookie in NBA Thus Far
- Report: Tyler Herro and Kelly Olynyk Questionable Tuesday vs. Detroit Pistons
- Report: No Buyout Coming for Dion Waiters, Miami Heat to Welcome Him Back Following Suspension
Five Things That Must Happen for the Miami Heat to Reach the NBA Finals
- Updated: April 19, 2016
3. Win Individual Matchups
There will be so many intriguing matchups throughout Miami’s playoff run, given that they advance to the NBA Finals. Currently, the matchup of Goran Dragic on Kemba Walker is one to watch. Hassan Whiteside on Al Jefferson is another.
Though team basketball is the key to victory for the Heat, winning individual matchups is also vital to the team’s success. The game of basketball is all about exploiting matchups and Miami has done a superior job of this over the years. Head coach Erik Spoelstra will have to read deep into the scouting report in order to assess his best possible matchups throughout each series and work to hone in on one-on-one domination in those areas.
If Miami meets LeBron James in the Eastern Conference Finals, it’s no shocker that a one-on-one matchup versus James will not work out. The “King” can’t be stopped, but he can be slowed, and Miami will have to rely on team defense to get the job done. Having said that, the individual matchups of Johnson, Justise Winslow and/or Luol Deng on James will be key when Miami cannot afford to spare another defender, say, if Kyrie Irving or Kevin Love gets hot in the series.
Next: Get Whiteside Going