- Report: Tyler Herro to miss Miami Heat’s next 3 games with latest injury
- Injury report released for Miami Heat’s Friday night game vs. Toronto Raptors
- Report: Miami Heat to use dogs to screen for COVID-19 as they begin welcoming fans back into arena
- Erik Spoelstra insinuates NBA forcing Miami Heat to play short-handed may have worsened Tyler Herro’s injury
- Andre Iguodala claims Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro have work ethics ‘just like’ Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson
- Kendrick Nunn discloses why he still thinks he deserved Rookie of the Year over Ja Morant
- Report: Miami Heat ‘really want’ Washington Wizards superstar Bradley Beal
- Dwyane Wade celebrates Kamala Harris making history as first female vice president
- Katya Elise Henry shares adorable pictures to celebrate Tyler Herro’s birthday
- Report: Multiple players remain out for Miami Heat’s Wednesday game vs. Toronto Raptors
9 Big Men Heat Could Sign to Potentially Replace Hassan Whiteside
- Updated: June 29, 2016
Miami Heat fans may not want to face it, but Hassan Whiteside is a major free-agent target with a world of options at his fingertips right now. The 7-foot shot-blocking menace is widely considered to receive max-contract offers from a slew of teams in the coming weeks as NBA free agency begins.
Whiteside has made it known that he wants to make a decision as quick as possible, too:
Whiteside says he hopes his situation is resolved on July 1, and that it’s an easy decision
— Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) June 26, 2016
The prized big man understands that teams are chomping at the bit to get their hands on him, and Heat fans need to accept the very real possibility that he may leave town. If that is indeed the case, and Whiteside is lured away, Miami must find a way to replace him.
Here are the nine free-agent big men the Heat could turn to if they lose Whiteside.
1. Al Horford
Al Horford would be Miami’s ideal backup plan if Whiteside signs elsewhere. While Horford’s game is certainly different than Whiteside’s in most respects, the 6’10” former University of Florida star would be an excellent addition to the Heat’s frontcourt. Though he is already 30-years-old, Horford is amongst the most versatile big men in the league, with the ability to guard the four and five positions more than adequately. He is also is a very solid post player with the ability to knock down three-pointers at any time. He and Chris Bosh on the floor together would be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams.
Next: Pau Gasol