- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
- Report: Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem dragged into $160,000 eviction lawsuit over Miami pizzeria
Video: Jimmy Butler Gets Denied by NBA Officials as He Tries to Play With Blank Jersey
- Updated: August 1, 2020
The NBA did not approve his desire to do so, but that didn’t stop him from trying to enter Saturday’s game with a nameless uniform. However, as he walked onto the court, the game’s refs stopped him and made him change.
Jimmy Butler stepped onto the court wearing a jersey with no name on the back. The refs made him switch to one with a name plate before tipping off.
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) August 1, 2020
As part of the 2019-20 season restart, the NBA has encouraged players to put approved phrases dealing with equality and social justice on the backs of their jerseys.
Butler wanted to leave his jersey blank to signify how he is no different than any man of color despite his status as an NBA star. His statement seemed to resonate with other players, as over 30 other players reportedly echoed Butler’s request.
The fact that Butler had a backup jersey with his last name on it ready on Saturday indicates that he was aware that he wouldn’t be allowed to play with his original jersey on Saturday. Certainly, he still wanted to get his message across despite the NBA rejecting his request.
Now, Butler and the Heat will hope to make another statement on the court by getting a win against a talented Denver Nuggets squad.