- Tyler Herro Discusses Skill Set He’s ‘Working Really Hard’ to Improve Inside NBA Bubble
- T.J. Warren Speaks Out on Facing Jimmy Butler and Miami Heat on Monday
- Dwyane Wade Reacts to NBA Snubbing of Devonte’ Graham for Most Improved Player Award
- Mario Chalmers Once Got Into Heated Confrontation With LeBron James After Telling Him to ‘Stop Playing Like a B—h’
- Miami Heat Rumors: Jimmy Butler on Track to Return Monday Against T.J. Warren and Indiana Pacers
- Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro Gives Thoughts on Playing Point Guard After Incredible Performance vs. Phoenix Suns
- Video: Devin Booker and Tyler Herro Seen Going at It During Miami Heat-Phoenix Suns Matchup
- Miami Heat’s Jae Crowder Continues to Beg for Justice for Breonna Taylor After 148 Days Pass Since Her Murder
- Dwyane Wade’s Hyped Reaction After Seeing Rodney McGruder Hit Game-Winning 3 Against Trail Blazers
- Miami Heat News: Bam Adebayo Named Finalist for NBA’s Most Improved Player Award
Dwyane Wade Was Surprised He Received Backlash for Supporting His Gay Son
- Updated: June 18, 2019
Back in April, that support elicited some controversy on social media, a reaction that the 16-year veteran of the NBA recently spoke about.
— Variety (@Variety) June 18, 2019
“Yes, this is my job as a father, and I’m very uneasy about accolades that come from supporting my kids or obviously the negativity that comes with it. I’m doing what every parent should do.
“Once you bring kids into this world, you have to become unselfish. You’re not important anymore. Your kids become the most important thing, your family becomes the most important thing. So I’m doing what I feel is right for my family, and like I said, that’s to support my kids and the same way, like I said. If it’s a sport, if it’s when they come home with great grades, it’s to big them up, let them know they can do anything in this world.
“You gotta understand, I’m from the inner city of Chicago and I wasn’t told that, I wasn’t told I could be anybody and do anything and I wasn’t always shown that. So it’s my job to be their role model, to be their voice in my kids’ lives and let them know you can conquer the world and you have the support of your father. You have the support of your family every step of the way. So go be your amazing self and we’re going to sit back and love you and support you along the way.”
Wade has been prominent for years in publicly showing love for his children, which has resulted in many people offering those accolades that he spoke about. The fact that his support extended to an annual event that remains connected to a controversial social issue was undoubtedly the basis for the backlash he and his family endured.
However, the reality of the two sides of this story offer a window into each mindset. Wade is proud to publicly represent his son, regardless of any criticisms that may be directed his way. In contrast, those critics remain hidden in anonymity, lacking the courage to make such remarks to Wade or his family and then deal with the consequences.