- Dwyane Wade Posts Video of Himself Coaching Up LeBron James Jr. on Sideline
- Udonis Haslem Unveils Latest Initiative to Help South Florida Community
- Hassan Whiteside Admits He Wanted to Go to Portland Trail Blazers ‘for Years’
- Pat Riley ‘Happy Right Now’ With One Star, Has ‘Shown Restraint’ With Targeting Others
- Jimmy Butler Viciously Blocks KZ Okpala, Talks Major Trash During Miami Heat Scrimmage
- Josh Richardson Says ‘Soft’ Players Cannot Make It in Miami Heat’s Culture
- Jimmy Butler responds to Joel Embiid: ‘Continue to prove why you’re the best player in this league’
- Multiple NBA Players Clown Jimmy Butler for Working Out at 3:30 A.M.
- Jimmy Butler Fires Back at Heckling Fan: ‘I Can’t Wash My A–?’
- Joel Embiid Says He Wishes Jimmy Butler Were Still on Philadelphia 76ers
Dwyane Wade Was Surprised He Received Backlash for Supporting His Gay Son
- Updated: June 18, 2019
Back in April, that support elicited some controversy on social media, a reaction that the 16-year veteran of the NBA recently spoke about.
— Variety (@Variety) June 18, 2019
“Yes, this is my job as a father, and I’m very uneasy about accolades that come from supporting my kids or obviously the negativity that comes with it. I’m doing what every parent should do.
“Once you bring kids into this world, you have to become unselfish. You’re not important anymore. Your kids become the most important thing, your family becomes the most important thing. So I’m doing what I feel is right for my family, and like I said, that’s to support my kids and the same way, like I said. If it’s a sport, if it’s when they come home with great grades, it’s to big them up, let them know they can do anything in this world.
“You gotta understand, I’m from the inner city of Chicago and I wasn’t told that, I wasn’t told I could be anybody and do anything and I wasn’t always shown that. So it’s my job to be their role model, to be their voice in my kids’ lives and let them know you can conquer the world and you have the support of your father. You have the support of your family every step of the way. So go be your amazing self and we’re going to sit back and love you and support you along the way.”
Wade has been prominent for years in publicly showing love for his children, which has resulted in many people offering those accolades that he spoke about. The fact that his support extended to an annual event that remains connected to a controversial social issue was undoubtedly the basis for the backlash he and his family endured.
However, the reality of the two sides of this story offer a window into each mindset. Wade is proud to publicly represent his son, regardless of any criticisms that may be directed his way. In contrast, those critics remain hidden in anonymity, lacking the courage to make such remarks to Wade or his family and then deal with the consequences.