- Chris Paul Reveals Time When He, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade Almost Teamed Up
- J.R. Smith Predicts Miami Heat Will Meet Los Angeles Lakers in NBA Finals
- Report: Jimmy Butler Questionable for Wednesday’s Game vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Bam Adebayo Joins Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon and Chris Webber With Masterful Performance
- 50 Cent Sparks Controversy After Sharing Tasteless Meme About Dwyane Wade’s Daughter
- Dwyane Wade Applauds Sabrina Ionescu’s ‘Unreal’ Accomplishment
- Bam Adebayo on Heat’s Embarrassing Loss to Cavs: ‘It Can’t Get Worse Than This’
- Miami Heat News: Biscayne Boulevard to Be Renamed Dwyane Wade Boulevard
- Dwyane Wade Dedicates Social Media Post to Kobe Bryant
- Report: Udonis Haslem May Return Next Season to Continue to Mentor Miami Heat
Dwyane Wade Was Surprised He Received Backlash for Supporting His Gay Son
- Updated: June 18, 2019
Back in April, that support elicited some controversy on social media, a reaction that the 16-year veteran of the NBA recently spoke about.
— Variety (@Variety) June 18, 2019
“Yes, this is my job as a father, and I’m very uneasy about accolades that come from supporting my kids or obviously the negativity that comes with it. I’m doing what every parent should do.
“Once you bring kids into this world, you have to become unselfish. You’re not important anymore. Your kids become the most important thing, your family becomes the most important thing. So I’m doing what I feel is right for my family, and like I said, that’s to support my kids and the same way, like I said. If it’s a sport, if it’s when they come home with great grades, it’s to big them up, let them know they can do anything in this world.
“You gotta understand, I’m from the inner city of Chicago and I wasn’t told that, I wasn’t told I could be anybody and do anything and I wasn’t always shown that. So it’s my job to be their role model, to be their voice in my kids’ lives and let them know you can conquer the world and you have the support of your father. You have the support of your family every step of the way. So go be your amazing self and we’re going to sit back and love you and support you along the way.”
Wade has been prominent for years in publicly showing love for his children, which has resulted in many people offering those accolades that he spoke about. The fact that his support extended to an annual event that remains connected to a controversial social issue was undoubtedly the basis for the backlash he and his family endured.
However, the reality of the two sides of this story offer a window into each mindset. Wade is proud to publicly represent his son, regardless of any criticisms that may be directed his way. In contrast, those critics remain hidden in anonymity, lacking the courage to make such remarks to Wade or his family and then deal with the consequences.