- Report: Dwyane Wade ‘Disappointed’ No Team Has Signed Carmelo Anthony
- Miami Heat News: Heat Exercise Fourth-Year Option on Bam Adebayo
- Miami Heat News: American Airlines Arena to Change Name Starting Next Season
- Tyler Herro Agrees That He’ll Be NBA Rookie With ‘Most Drip’
- Goran Dragic Says Surgically Repaired Knee ‘Way Stronger’ Than Last Season
- Dwyane Wade Discusses Why He Absolutely ‘Had to Bring a Championship’ to Miami Heat
- Dwyane Wade Seriously Interested in Owning NFL Team With Rick Ross
- Chris Bosh Eligible to Go to Hall of Fame in Same Class as Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan
- Report: NBA Will No Longer Allow ‘Ninja-Style’ Headbands Jimmy Butler Wore Last Season
- Dwyane Wade: ‘I Think L.A. Is Going to Win the Championship’
Miami Heat News: Heat Trade Wayne Ellington to Phoenix Suns
- Updated: February 6, 2019
While Ellington had the right to reject the trade, he reportedly approved the move before it was completed.
Can confirm Wayne Ellington has been traded to Phoenix. Agent Mark Bartelstein said Ellington – who had right to veto trade – has given his approval.
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) February 6, 2019
The reason why Ellington reportedly approved the deal is because he thinks he won’t be in Phoenix for long.
Sources tell me that Wayne Ellington has agree to waive his de facto no-trade clause to go to the Suns with the idea that he'll be traded elsewhere or bought out after the trade deadline.
— Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA) February 6, 2019
While it at first seemed like an odd move, the trade is not a bad one for the Heat. The reason for this is primarily financial. While Ryan Anderson was projected to make $21.2 million next season under his current contract, he agreed to reduce his guarantee this past offseason.
Overall, the trade is set to save the Heat approximately $8 million in taxes.
While that amount is still not enough to get Miami in the market for the many star free agents this summer, it does allow them some much-needed flexibility in both the coming offseason and buyout markets.