- Report: Dwyane Wade not allowed to be part of Jazz’s basketball operations while working as TNT analyst
- Micky Arison admits he’s ‘disappointed’ Dwyane Wade decided not to join Miami Heat ownership
- Report: Dwyane Wade previously said he ‘would love’ to join Miami Heat ownership group
- Report: Dwyane Wade purchases ownership stake in Utah Jazz
- Bam Adebayo discloses how Udonis Haslem forced him to speak up in huddle so he could learn to lead Miami Heat
- Bam Adebayo admits he still talks ‘s–t’ to Jayson Tatum about monster block in last year’s playoffs
- Dwyane Wade reacts to Kevin Durant investing in company that grew from $1.6 billion to $100 billion
- Report: Isaiah Thomas receiving interest from Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and Milwaukee Bucks
- Dwyane Wade unveils conversations he’s had with Paul George about his playoff mishaps
- Report: Miami Heat release injury update on Jimmy Butler after scary moment vs. Phoenix Suns
Miami Heat News: Heat to Retire Shaquille O’Neal’s Jersey Next Season
- Updated: February 9, 2016
O’Neal was acquired in July 2004 from the Los Angeles Lakers before being dealt to the Phoenix Suns in February of 2008. He was a key part of the franchise’s first NBA title in 2006, and helped lead the team to three straight division titles.
Despite the span of eight years since he last put on a Miami uniform, O’Neal remains the team’s all-time leader in field-goal percentage after having connected on 59.6 percent of his shots during his time with the franchise. On February 26, 2007, he became just the 14th NBA player in history (at the time) to score 25,000 points.
“Shaquille O’Neal is one of the truly elite players in the history of the game and one of the greatest players to ever wear a Heat uniform,” team president Pat Riley said. “He took us to another level as a basketball franchise while leading us to our first NBA championship. Retiring his number in the rafters, along with Heat greats Alonzo Mourning and Tim Hardaway, is something we are very proud of.”