- Report: It’s no secret that Victor Oladipo has a desire to play for Miami Heat
- Report: NBA spokesman denies that Jimmy Butler rejected All-Star Game invitation
- Miami Heat provide injury report for Tuesday’s game vs. Atlanta Hawks
- Miami Heat earn huge shout-out from Magic Johnson for improved play amid 6-game winning streak
- Jackie MacMullan on Miami Heat potentially making a move: ‘Pat [Riley] will do something’
- Report: Miami Heat and New York Knicks have interest in Victor Oladipo
- Chicago Bulls insider labels Miami Heat as potential destination for Thaddeus Young
- Report: Miami Heat list Jimmy Butler as questionable for game vs. Atlanta Hawks due to new injury
- Report: Houston Rockets could trade Victor Oladipo based on belief that he’ll join Miami Heat in offseason
- Donovan Mitchell compares Jimmy Butler to James Harden in crucial aspect of game: ‘He is an artist’
Report: Minnesota Timberwolves Solely Targeting Miami Heat as Trade Partner
- Updated: October 4, 2018
While several teams around the NBA have been mentioned as competitors to acquire Butler, it seems that the Heat are in clear control at the moment.
According to a recent report by NBA insider Shams Charania, the Wolves are now solely targeting the Heat as a trade partner.
“Minnesota has been in active discussions with Miami,” Charania said. “Most teams around the league, rival teams believe that Minnesota has been pretty much targeting Miami and has locked in on Miami as a potential destination for Jimmy Butler.”
Charania went on to explain that if the Heat and Wolves are not able to agree on a deal, the Wolves’ next move will be to make sure that their disgruntled star reports to preseason activities. While a star staying on a team shortly after requesting a trade is not unheard of in the NBA, it is certainly not the ideal scenario for either party.
“I’m told talks have been going back and forth the whole week, but if they aren’t able to come up with the type of package Minnesota desires, there’s no question that the next step for the Minnesota Timberwolves would be to make sure that Jimmy Butler shows up, reports.
“At some point that’s going to be the next bridge that’s going to have to be crossed, but between now and then the Timberwolves are going to be working around the clock in terms of finding out if they can get what they want, whether it’s from [Miami] or another team that comes in at the last hour. The Clippers are still very much interested, so are the Houston Rockets, but outside of that there are teams in the Eastern Conference that are like, ‘Listen, we are fully under the belief that Minnesota is solely targeting the Miami Heat.'”
A blockbuster deal for the two-way star has seemed very close at certain points over the last week, and very far away at others. Currently, it feels as though both clubs are making their last-ditch efforts to get a deal done.
While Miami could certainly use Butler’s talents on the roster this season, it is heartening to see that it is clearly not willing to give up everything the Wolves seemingly covet.
If team president Pat Riley were able to acquire Butler while also holding onto some of Miami’s key young stars such as Josh Richardson and Bam Adebayo, it would be another clear bit of proof that he is one of the savviest minds in the NBA today.
Hopefully, he’s able to get it done.