- Duncan Robinson’s humble reaction after passing Dwyane Wade in Miami Heat record books
- Report: Rockets player gets jumped at strip club, takes bottle to face in Miami day before taking on Heat
- Report: Miami Heat to be without Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro vs. Houston Rockets
- Report: Miami Heat have been ‘concerned now for months’ about Tyler Herro’s celebrity status
- Report: Miami Heat to be without Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro vs. Houston Rockets
- Dwyane Wade says Zaire has activated ‘Wade hops’ after he jumps over grown man for impressive dunk
- Bam Adebayo issues strong message to ‘switch that narrative’ of Jimmy Butler calling out Miami Heat
- Former Miami Heat big man remembers Dwyane Wade displaying Michael ‘Jordan-esque’ tendencies early in career
- Report: Miami Heat expect Victor Oladipo to return from knee injury this season
- Jimmy Butler delivers blunt message to Bam Adebayo: ‘Attack the rim…play bully ball’
Report: Details Leaked on Miami Heat’s Plan for Max Star in 2021
- Updated: February 5, 2020
While the trade will help the Heat’s quest for their fourth NBA championship this spring, there’s another benefit it may provide down the road.
With a team-option for the 2021-22 season, Iguodala is allowing the Heat to keep salary cap flexibility for free agency, league sources tell ESPN. If Miami misses on recruiting a max star, the plan would be for Miami to guarantee that season's $15M, per sources.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) February 6, 2020
Upon being acquired by Miami, Iguodala promptly agreed to a two-year, $30 million extension with his new team.
As of now, the crown jewel of the 2021 free agent market is slated to be Giannis Antetokounmpo, the reigning league MVP. He can opt out of his contract that summer, and has yet to give the Milwaukee Bucks any indication of whether he intends to do so.
Other headlining members of that free agent class could include LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.
The Heat have already been aggressive in looking to pair Jimmy Butler with another star in recent months.
Last summer, they attempted to acquire Chris Paul from the Houston Rockets. They have also been linked to Bradley Beal of the Washington Wizards, although all indications point to him remaining in Washington for the foreseeable future.