- Report: Udonis Haslem Joins LeBron James in Fight Against Black Voter Suppression
- Report: Miami Heat Interested in Acquiring Denver Nuggets’ Paul Millsap This Summer
- Meyers Leonard Fires NSFW Shot at NASCAR Driver for Quitting Because of Confederate Flag Ban
- Mario Chalmers Indicates He’s Ready to Replace NBA Players That Aren’t Willing to Return This Season
- Report: Miami Heat Players ‘All in’ for Restarting Season, Aren’t Pushing NBA to Change Protocols
- Chris Silva Opens Up About Heartbreaking Loss of Former Coach and ‘Father Figure’
- Report: Miami Heat Have ‘Made It Known’ They’ll Target Giannis Antetokounmpo, Victor Oladipo in 2021
- Report: ‘Faction of Players’ Discussing If NBA Restart Is ‘Good Idea’
- Video: Dwyane Wade, Erik Spoelstra Show Udonis Haslem Love During Massive Birthday Extravaganza
- Dwyane Wade Reminisces on His Iconic Pregame Routine With Miami Heat
Report: Boston Celtics Expected to Inquire About Miami Heat’s Rodney McGruder
- Updated: January 23, 2019
According to a report by Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Boston Celtics are expected to inquire about the third-year player:
“But beyond the obvious trade candidates ([Dion] Waiters, Tyler Johnson, [Hassan] Whiteside, Wayne Ellington), one league official said don’t discount McGruder, who has a bargain $1.5 million contract that’s set to expire.
“That official said he would expect an inquiry by a contender such as Boston that’s in need of a glue-type role player like McGruder. The Heat is over the projected $132 million luxury tax threshold for next season, and re-signing McGruder would raise that tax bill.”
While McGruder likely would not earn the Heat much of a haul in terms of value, it would help the organization from a rotational and financial standpoint, according to Jackson:
“Though the Heat would get little back in return for McGruder (perhaps a conditional second-round pick), dealing him would lessen the rotation logjam and reduce the Heat’s $9.7 million tax bill.”
McGruder isn’t the only Heat player who is thought to be on the trade block at the moment, but it is unclear how many moves the Heat will actually make before the deadline.
At the moment, all reports regarding potential moves should be considered a little more than conjecture. Still, it is clear that McGruder is one player to keep an eye on as the deadline nears.