- Kendrick Nunn Now Leads All Rookies in 6 Key Statistical Categories
- Kendrick Perkins Roasts Hassan Whiteside, Says Pat Riley Sold ‘Used Buick’ to Trail Blazers
- Kendrick Nunn Credits Erik Spoelstra With Creating Championship Culture for Miami Heat
- Dwyane Wade Celebrates Carmelo Anthony Signing With Portland Trail Blazers
- Meyers Leonard Thinks Tenure With Miami Heat Could Be Long Term
- Dwyane Wade Credits Own Sneakers for Helping D’Angelo Russell Posterize LeBron James
- LeBron Says He Was ‘Scared as S—‘ When He Returned to Cleveland After Joining Heat
- Gabrielle Union Reveals When She Finds Dwyane Wade at His ‘Sexiest’
- Chris Bosh: ‘Playing With LeBron Was Like Buying a Ferrari’
- Report: Miami Heat Players Look Forward to Practice Because of Jimmy Butler
Miami Heat Rumors: J.J. Barea Leaning Towards Deal with Heat
- Updated: July 1, 2015
The Miami Heat appear to be close to making their first addition of free agency.
NBA.com’s David Aldridge reports that free agent point guard J.J. Barea is leaning towards signing with the Heat.
Am told that Mavericks free agent guard J.J. Barea is leaning toward taking a deal with the Heat.
— David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) July 2, 2015
This is coming off of reports that the Heat were interested in the 31-year-old guard. The only way Miami can sign Barea is either by offering him the exception ($3.4 million) or giving him the veteran’s minimum.
The Heat’s interest in Barea is a bit surprising considering the team is already loaded on depth at the guard positions. Goran Dragic, Tyler Johnson, Mario Chalmers and Shabazz Napier are all currently on the roster. Dwyane Wade could very well likely be back, and 2015 second-round draft choice Josh Richardson will be given an opportunity to crack the roster.
What this more than likely means is that the Heat are seriously shopping around Chalmers. It had been reported about a week prior that ‘Rio was on the trading block in an effort to clear up cap space for re-signing Wade.
Regardless, it would appear the Heat and Barea have serious mutual interest in one another and that a signing seems imminent.