- Several signs pointing to Heat big man Meyers Leonard leaving Miami
- Report: Miami Heat have Paul Millsap and Wesley Matthews ‘on their radar’
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge might be a trade target for the Miami Heat
- Report: Miami Heat are No. 1 on Victor Oladipo’s list if he leaves Indiana Pacers
- Here’s how Kawhi Leonard joining the Miami Heat would become a ‘possibility’
- Here’s what Philadelphia 76ers would ‘very likely’ demand from Miami Heat for Joel Embiid
- Report: Miami Heat have ‘admiration’ for Paul George’s game as big free agency looms
- Video: Mike Tyson confronts Boosie Badazz over derogatory comments about Dwyane Wade’s transgender daughter
- Report: Miami Heat showing interest in promising young guard from Alabama
- Miami Heat’s Kendrick Nunn shows off budding new romance while on vacation
Erik Spoelstra: Hassan Whiteside Leaving Bench Last Night Was ‘Unacceptable’
- Updated: December 5, 2018
Hassan Whiteside made headlines on Tuesday night, but not the type of headlines that players typically strive for.
In the waning moments of the Miami Heat’s blowout loss to the Orlando Magic, Whiteside left the team’s bench and headed to the locker room. He remained there until the game concluded, but exited the locker room without meeting with media.
Whiteside’s early departure did not sit well with the team. On Wednesday, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra criticized Whiteside’s behavior, while noting that the organization handled the matter.
— David Furones (@DavidFurones_) December 5, 2018
Whitside struggled for portions of the game, and did not play during the fourth quarter. It seems likely that he was frustrated by his and the team’s performance and Spoelstra’s rotations. In all, he totaled 12 points, nine rebounds and three blocks in 25 minutes of action.
For now, it is unclear how the organization will handle the issue. It is possible that Spoelstra and Whiteside will merely talk, but it’s also possible that the organization will fine or suspend the starting center.
Miami’s next game is on Friday, Dec. 7, when the team begins a six-game road trip against the Phoenix Suns.