- Miami Heat News: Heat Sign Former Mavs Guard for Final Roster Spot
- Report: Daryl Macon Has Emerged as ‘Strong Possibility’ for Miami Heat’s Final Roster Spot
- J.J. Redick Says He Would Love to Play With Jimmy Butler Again
- Hassan Whiteside Says Portland Trail Blazers ‘Best Team I’ve Ever Played on Talent-Wise’
- Report: Dwyane Wade Puts Miami Mansion Up for Sale
- Bam Adebayo Offers Take on Which Miami Heat Player Stood Out Most in Offseason Workouts
- Dwyane Wade Gives Glowing Review of Lakers’ Revamped Roster
- Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Alonzo Mourning Ranked as Best Miami Heat Players Ever
- Report: Bam Adebayo Says Miami Heat Pushing Him to Be ‘More of a Leader’ This Season
- Chris Bosh Explains Why He’s ‘Comfortable’ With His Legacy on Miami Heat
Erik Spoelstra: Hassan Whiteside Leaving Bench Last Night Was ‘Unacceptable’
- Updated: December 5, 2018
Hassan Whiteside made headlines on Tuesday night, but not the type of headlines that players typically strive for.
In the waning moments of the Miami Heat’s blowout loss to the Orlando Magic, Whiteside left the team’s bench and headed to the locker room. He remained there until the game concluded, but exited the locker room without meeting with media.
Whiteside’s early departure did not sit well with the team. On Wednesday, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra criticized Whiteside’s behavior, while noting that the organization handled the matter.
— David Furones (@DavidFurones_) December 5, 2018
Whitside struggled for portions of the game, and did not play during the fourth quarter. It seems likely that he was frustrated by his and the team’s performance and Spoelstra’s rotations. In all, he totaled 12 points, nine rebounds and three blocks in 25 minutes of action.
For now, it is unclear how the organization will handle the issue. It is possible that Spoelstra and Whiteside will merely talk, but it’s also possible that the organization will fine or suspend the starting center.
Miami’s next game is on Friday, Dec. 7, when the team begins a six-game road trip against the Phoenix Suns.