- Report: Miami Heat ‘Most Dangerous Team’ to Make Deal Going Forward
- Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving Laud Tyler Herro With Words of Praise
- Hassan Whiteside Dedicates Social Media Post to Former Miami Heat Teammates
- Miami Heat News: Derrick Jones Jr. to Participate in 2020 Slam Dunk Contest
- Report: Duncan Robinson Considered ‘Near Lock’ to Participate in 3-Point Contest
- Kendrick Nunn and Duncan Robinson React to Contracts With Miami Heat Becoming Fully Guaranteed
- Miami Heat News: Jimmy Butler Out Sunday vs. Portland Trail Blazers
- Jimmy Butler Says Miami Heat Not Displaying ‘Culture We Pride Ourselves On’
- Hassan Whiteside Expecting Boos From Miami Heat Crowd in Return Contest
- Jimmy Butler Heavily Criticizes Miami Heat’s Effort and Attitude After Loss to Orlando Magic
Legends Say Jimmy Butler Had Heat DNA Long Before He Arrived in Miami
- Updated: October 23, 2019
“I noticed the DNA,” Mourning said recently. “He already had the DNA, and it was long before he was deciding whether to come here. The actual DNA he had, based on our culture, I knew that he would fit in immediately.”
Mourning’s work ethic and intensity on the court are legendary, and they are evident whenever highlights of his career are shown. Butler may not be as demonstrative on the court as Mourning, but the inner fire that drives the eight-year veteran to excellence is very similar to the Hall of Fame center’s.
It’s probably why Mourning indulges Butler after every practice session.
Haslem, the team’s elder statesman and three-time NBA champion, believes that Butler’s persona is perfectly suited to what the Heat represent because it comes naturally to him.
“For somebody that’s coming in new to this organization, new to this culture, he’s embodied it naturally,” Haslem said. “We understand that it requires a lot and that this organization is not for everybody.
“But it’s who Jimmy is. You see it. And it’s not like he’s trying to show it. It’s natural.”
As for Wade, the two played together with the Chicago Bulls during the 2016-17 season, and have maintained a close relationship ever since. The recently retired guard knew all along that Butler had the makings of a Heat player.
“I’ve always told him he’s a Miami Heat culture guy,” Wade said.
Though he’s just about to begin his first season in Miami, Butler looks like he’s been a Heat player throughout his career. It’s as if all he needed was the opportunity to come home.