- Dwyane Wade Unveils His All-Time Starting 5 of Former Teammates
- Report: Miami Heat Expected to Trade Problematic Dion Waiters
- Kendrick Nunn Reveals Wisdom Dwyane Wade Imparted on Him in Los Angeles
- Report: Dion Waiters Panic Attack Has Been Disputed by Source With Direct Knowledge
- Kevin Durant Urges Dwyane Wade to Come Out of Retirement
- Chris Bosh Claims Kendrick Nunn Has Been Best Rookie in NBA Thus Far
- Report: Tyler Herro and Kelly Olynyk Questionable Tuesday vs. Detroit Pistons
- Report: No Buyout Coming for Dion Waiters, Miami Heat to Welcome Him Back Following Suspension
- Report: Miami Heat Provided Dion Waiters ‘Ample Opportunities’ to Redeem Himself
- Report: Miami Heat Teammate Gave Dion Waiters THC-Infused Gummy
Legends Say Jimmy Butler Had Heat DNA Long Before He Arrived in Miami
- Updated: October 23, 2019
“I noticed the DNA,” Mourning said recently. “He already had the DNA, and it was long before he was deciding whether to come here. The actual DNA he had, based on our culture, I knew that he would fit in immediately.”
Mourning’s work ethic and intensity on the court are legendary, and they are evident whenever highlights of his career are shown. Butler may not be as demonstrative on the court as Mourning, but the inner fire that drives the eight-year veteran to excellence is very similar to the Hall of Fame center’s.
It’s probably why Mourning indulges Butler after every practice session.
Haslem, the team’s elder statesman and three-time NBA champion, believes that Butler’s persona is perfectly suited to what the Heat represent because it comes naturally to him.
“For somebody that’s coming in new to this organization, new to this culture, he’s embodied it naturally,” Haslem said. “We understand that it requires a lot and that this organization is not for everybody.
“But it’s who Jimmy is. You see it. And it’s not like he’s trying to show it. It’s natural.”
As for Wade, the two played together with the Chicago Bulls during the 2016-17 season, and have maintained a close relationship ever since. The recently retired guard knew all along that Butler had the makings of a Heat player.
“I’ve always told him he’s a Miami Heat culture guy,” Wade said.
Though he’s just about to begin his first season in Miami, Butler looks like he’s been a Heat player throughout his career. It’s as if all he needed was the opportunity to come home.