- Report: Miami Heat will have interest in Mike Conley this offseason
- Dwyane Wade unveils reason why Erik Spoelstra benched him after he dropped 50 points in 3 quarters
- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
Jimmy Butler opens up on similarities between KZ Okpala and himself
- Updated: December 21, 2020
On Monday, Heat All-Star Jimmy Butler compared Okpala to himself.
“He’s constantly learning, trying to get better on both ends of the floor,” Butler said. “That’s my favorite part about him. He cares probably more about getting the stop than he does about getting the bucket. For me, that’s how I started off in the league. So a lot of what I see in him is kind of like what I was whenever I was a young guy in the league.”
Okpala, 21, showed out in the 2020 preseason.
During the Heat’s preseason win over the Toronto Raptors on Friday, the forward collected 24 points on 9-of-15 shooting from the field. Most impressive, he knocked down six shots from downtown.
Okpala was the No. 32 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. As for Butler, he was selected with the No. 30 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.
Clearly, Butler knows what it’s like to rise to the top without having the hype or attention.