- Dwyane Wade defends Nate Robinson after Gilbert Arenas’ message goes viral
- Report: Miami Heat sign Max Strus to training camp deal
- Miami Heat rising star Tyler Herro favored to win 2 NBA awards next season
- Andre Iguodala predicts former Golden State Warriors teammate to win MVP
- Bam Adebayo must achieve one major goal to be paid full supermax contract
- Jae Crowder demands huge request from Miami Heat after bidding farewell
- Bam Adebayo makes epic announcement after he officially signs extension with Miami Heat
- Pat Riley speaks out on Bam Adebayo officially signing 5-year, max rookie contract
- Dwyane Wade recounts him and Jimmy Butler losing $50K to Rajon Rondo, other teammates while gambling
- Precious Achiuwa reveals he was ‘probably the biggest’ Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo fan last season
Photo: Heat to Honor Jose Fernandez by Wearing ‘JDF 16’ Shooting Shirts
- Updated: October 11, 2016
The Miami Heat will honor the memory of the late, great Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez during their preseason home opener Tuesday night. Heat players will wear shooting shirts with the initials “JDF” along with Fernandez’ number, 16.
Despite the fact that Fernandez was a baseball star and not a basketball player, the pitcher’s life and death is one that has transcended sports altogether. Fernandez was killed last month in a tragic boating accident that shook the sports world. He was only 24-years-old but his legacy as a pitching phenom and a beloved teammate had already grown to legendary heights in South Florida sports lore.
The Heat are not the first Florida sports team to honor Fernandez in some way. The Miami Dolphins held a moment of silence for the two-time All Star pitcher before their matchup with the Cleveland Browns late last month. Though the loss of Fernandez shocked and saddened the entire sports world, the Heat are doing what they can to ensure his legacy lives on.
Miami’s preseason tilt against the Brooklyn Nets tips off at 7:30 p.m. ET, Tuesday Oct. 11th.