- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
- Report: Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem dragged into $160,000 eviction lawsuit over Miami pizzeria
- Video: Victor Oladipo exits game vs. Lakers after suffering non-contact injury
- Video: Jimmy Butler taunts Lakers while taking over in 4th quarter for Heat
- Video: Victor Oladipo throws down angry poster over Andre Drummond
- Tyler Herro admits he ‘definitely thought I would be starting’ as he comments on reserve role with Miami Heat
- Dwyane Wade slights Boston Celtics, says they don’t have an identity
Erik Spoelstra discloses how Miami Heat plan to approach Jimmy Butler’s ankle injury
- Updated: December 25, 2020
Erik Spoelsra on Jimmy Butler's ankle, "It was a group decision," he said of Butler sitting out the second half. "It just stiffened up."
— Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) December 25, 2020
He also hinted at how the Heat will approach the injury.
Spo on Jimmy's ankle: "The smartest decision right now is to not force it."
— Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) December 25, 2020
Butler had been questionable for the Pelicans game because of the ankle injury that occurred during the Heat’s opening-game loss to the Orlando Magic on Wednesday night.
Spoelstra and the Heat medical staff will most likely take a careful approach to bringing Butler back, knowing that bringing him back too soon could risk further injuring the ankle.
Just two games into the 2020-21 season, there’s no reason to rush Butler back into the lineup. That may rub against Butler’s insatiable desire to compete, but looking at things from a long-term perspective appears to be the right approach.
The Heat will be off until next Tuesday, when they host the Milwaukee Bucks in back-to-back home contests. The hope is that keeping Butler off the ankle during that time will speed up his rehabilitation.