- Report: Miami Heat release injury update on Jimmy Butler after scary moment vs. Phoenix Suns
- Ja Morant expresses no sympathy for Miami Heat having to play 8 games in 12 days
- Report: Miami Heat will have interest in Mike Conley this offseason
- Dwyane Wade unveils reason why Erik Spoelstra benched him after he dropped 50 points in 3 quarters
- Dwyane Wade honored that Kobe Bryant paid him one-of-a-kind compliment in his book
- Jimmy Butler on why Miami Heat’s defense has been elite: ‘We got rid of Derrick Jones Jr.’
- Report: Kendrick Nunn partners with NBPA to help single fathers in Chicago
- Report: Victor Oladipo to seek specialist’s evaluation regarding timetable for knee injury
- Erik Spoelstra declines to answer whether Victor Oladipo will play for Miami Heat again this season
- Dewayne Dedmon offers fantastic response when asked what he’s willing to do for Miami Heat
Dwyane Wade Hints That He’ll Opt out of $16.1M Option
- Updated: June 8, 2015
Dwyane Wade is really keeping his name in headlines during the NBA Finals.
Despite the fact that the Miami Heat did not even advance to the postseason, Wade has remained in the news due to the recent reports about him being unhappy with his current contract. Wade holds a player option for the 2015-16 season worth about $16.1 million.
While appearing during ABC’s Finals coverage during Game 2 between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors, the 11-time All-Star strongly indicated his plans heading into July:
“Well, listen, it’s summer time. So when summer time and free agency [come together], it’s going to be a lot of talk. And right now, I’m glad that the Finals is going and we’re here….And we’ll worry about that in July. Right now, we’re going to focus on these Finals.”
“Worrying about it in July” would indicate that Wade plans to opt out for a new contract from the Heat, or test the free agent market in July. It has been suggested “Flash” wants more money and/or a longer commitment from Miami.
The former Finals MVP has until June 29 to exercise his player option for next season. If he fails to do so, he automatically becomes a free agent and anything goes from that point on.