- Report: Avery Bradley to return, Goran Dragic out vs. Denver Nuggets
- Report: NBA officials believe Duncan Robinson will get $15-20M annually in free agency
- Udonis Haslem expresses anger over NBA ‘locking up’ players in hotel rooms due to COVID-19
- Miami Heat legend Dwyane Wade reacts to tragic COVID-19-related death of Sekou Smith
- Report: Miami Heat could be without 8 players Wednesday vs. Denver Nuggets
- Miami Heat remember Kobe Bryant with incredible 8-minute, 24-second video tribute
- Dwyane Wade reacts to hilarious photo of him and Martha Stewart
- Video: Kyrie Irving successfully sneaks Bam Adebayo his jersey after Miami Heat-Brooklyn Nets game
- Udonis Haslem says Duncan Robinson is the best shooter he’s ever seen
- Report: Avery Bradley announces exact date he plans to return for Miami Heat
Dion Waiters Offers Mature, Level-Headed Response in Regards to Lack of Playing Time
- Updated: January 27, 2020
He scored 14 points in 18 minutes of playing time. Not long ago, it seemed Waiters’ time in a Heat jersey had all but come to an end.
Waiters has been suspended by the team on three different occasions this season. Despite the behavioral issues that caused those suspensions, the Heat organization opted to offer Waiters another opportunity.
So far, it seems he has taken it. Following his season debut, Waiters took full responsibility for his past actions.
“I’m a grown man,” he said. “I don’t point fingers. I could easily say this and that, but at the end of the day, it’s me. I made immature decisions. So, you know, I take full responsibility.”
However, that wasn’t all the veteran guard said. He also took the time to thank his family for their support during the difficult times.
“I’m not going to lie to you, man. My kids. My kids, my family, my support system is so strong,” Waiters said. “I’ve got a lot of good people in my life. You find that out when you go through them times. This is the first time I’ve been through something like this in my life. … I don’t feel like I lost anything, besides my money.”
It is unclear how much playing time Waiters can expect from here on out.
While injuries to the roster have been a near constant for the Heat this season, it will be fascinating to see where Waiters will end up on a fully healthy rotation.
In the end, all Waiters can do is control his own behavior.
Nevertheless, his sentiment when asked about whether he expects to play going forward was quite clear.
“Hopefully,” he said.