- Dwyane Wade Unveils His All-Time Starting 5 of Former Teammates
- Report: Miami Heat Expected to Trade Problematic Dion Waiters
- Kendrick Nunn Reveals Wisdom Dwyane Wade Imparted on Him in Los Angeles
- Report: Dion Waiters Panic Attack Has Been Disputed by Source With Direct Knowledge
- Kevin Durant Urges Dwyane Wade to Come Out of Retirement
- Chris Bosh Claims Kendrick Nunn Has Been Best Rookie in NBA Thus Far
- Report: Tyler Herro and Kelly Olynyk Questionable Tuesday vs. Detroit Pistons
- Report: No Buyout Coming for Dion Waiters, Miami Heat to Welcome Him Back Following Suspension
- Report: Miami Heat Provided Dion Waiters ‘Ample Opportunities’ to Redeem Himself
- Report: Miami Heat Teammate Gave Dion Waiters THC-Infused Gummy
Stephen A. Smith Suggests Jimmy Butler’s Relationship With Joel Embiid Played Factor in Scuffle
- Updated: November 1, 2019
Earlier this week, Philadelphia 76ers star big man Joel Embiid proved that he’s not afraid to get a bit chippy when he and Minnesota Timberwolves big man Karl-Anthony Towns got into a mid-game scuffle.
— First Take (@FirstTake) November 1, 2019
Co-host Max Kellerman then completed his thought.
“Karl-Anthony Towns,” he said.
Smith continued to further explain his hypothesis.
“Remember when [Butler] departed Minnesota, there was two things that were mentioned emanating out of Minnesota,” he said. “One was that Andrew Wiggins didn’t want it enough, he was happy with his money. The other was that Karl-Anthony Towns was a bit soft.”
Finally, he explained why this may have all factored into Wednesday night’s fight.
“I’ve never seen anybody in the NBA have more of an influence on Joel Embiid than Jimmy Butler,” he said. “He loves that brother. Jimmy Butler is somebody that is near and dear to Joel Embiid, and if Jimmy Butler has any questions about you, Joel Embiid has questions about you.”
It’s pretty incredible to hear about the kind of impact that Butler had on Embiid. Considering the fact that last season, the lone season in which the two stars played together, was arguably the best of Embiid’s career, Heat fans should be very excited about what Butler brings to the table in Miami.
With Butler acting as the clear veteran leader of a young roster brimming with potential, it’s starting to look like the Heat may rise to the ranks of Eastern Conference elite much sooner than was initially expected. If the four-time All-Star’s fiery personality leads to a few tense moments on the court, so be it.