- Report: Miami Heat exercise team option on guard Tyler Herro
- Tyler Herro’s big personal goal for upcoming NBA season
- Details emerge about Jimmy Butler’s rumored romance with Selena Gomez
- Report: Bradley Beal will be No. 1 target for Miami Heat if unable to land Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Report: Jimmy Butler offered Bam Adebayo part-owner stake in his coffee business for $2.5 million
- Precious Achiuwa reveals Tyler Herro reached out right after draft to invite him to workout
- Miami Heat unveil jaw-dropping ‘ViceVersa’ uniforms for upcoming season
- Dwyane Wade defends Nate Robinson after Gilbert Arenas’ message goes viral
- Report: Miami Heat sign Max Strus to training camp deal
- Miami Heat rising star Tyler Herro favored to win 2 NBA awards next season
Stephen A. Smith Suggests Jimmy Butler’s Relationship With Joel Embiid Played Factor in Scuffle
- Updated: November 1, 2019
Earlier this week, Philadelphia 76ers star big man Joel Embiid proved that he’s not afraid to get a bit chippy when he and Minnesota Timberwolves big man Karl-Anthony Towns got into a mid-game scuffle.
— First Take (@FirstTake) November 1, 2019
Co-host Max Kellerman then completed his thought.
“Karl-Anthony Towns,” he said.
Smith continued to further explain his hypothesis.
“Remember when [Butler] departed Minnesota, there was two things that were mentioned emanating out of Minnesota,” he said. “One was that Andrew Wiggins didn’t want it enough, he was happy with his money. The other was that Karl-Anthony Towns was a bit soft.”
Finally, he explained why this may have all factored into Wednesday night’s fight.
“I’ve never seen anybody in the NBA have more of an influence on Joel Embiid than Jimmy Butler,” he said. “He loves that brother. Jimmy Butler is somebody that is near and dear to Joel Embiid, and if Jimmy Butler has any questions about you, Joel Embiid has questions about you.”
It’s pretty incredible to hear about the kind of impact that Butler had on Embiid. Considering the fact that last season, the lone season in which the two stars played together, was arguably the best of Embiid’s career, Heat fans should be very excited about what Butler brings to the table in Miami.
With Butler acting as the clear veteran leader of a young roster brimming with potential, it’s starting to look like the Heat may rise to the ranks of Eastern Conference elite much sooner than was initially expected. If the four-time All-Star’s fiery personality leads to a few tense moments on the court, so be it.