- Chris Paul Reveals Time When He, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade Almost Teamed Up
- J.R. Smith Predicts Miami Heat Will Meet Los Angeles Lakers in NBA Finals
- Report: Jimmy Butler Questionable for Wednesday’s Game vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Bam Adebayo Joins Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon and Chris Webber With Masterful Performance
- 50 Cent Sparks Controversy After Sharing Tasteless Meme About Dwyane Wade’s Daughter
- Dwyane Wade Applauds Sabrina Ionescu’s ‘Unreal’ Accomplishment
- Bam Adebayo on Heat’s Embarrassing Loss to Cavs: ‘It Can’t Get Worse Than This’
- Miami Heat News: Biscayne Boulevard to Be Renamed Dwyane Wade Boulevard
- Dwyane Wade Dedicates Social Media Post to Kobe Bryant
- Report: Udonis Haslem May Return Next Season to Continue to Mentor Miami Heat
Derrick Jones Jr. Explains Why Kyrie Irving Is His Favorite Player to Defend
- Updated: June 26, 2019
DJJ just said Kyrie is his favorite player to guard because of the challenge. Says he wants to be Defensive Player of the Year in the future
— alex (@tropicalblanket) June 26, 2019
Jones, 22, is coming off a career season with the Heat. The 6-foot-7 high-flyer put up a career-high 7.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per game last season.
Although the former dunk contest participant is known for his entertaining slams, Jones also turned into a viable defender, rotational piece and contributor off the bench for the Heat this past season.
Irving, 27, is one of the best point guards in the association. The eight-year pro has career averages of 22.2 points, 5.7 assists and 3.6 rebounds per game. The 2016 champion is currently an unrestricted free agent, though he is heavily expected to sign with the Brooklyn Nets.
Known for his flashy handles and amazing finishes around the rim, Irving is one of the hardest players to slow down. However, that makes it all the more fun for ambitious players, such as Jones, to take on the challenge and nurture their defensive prowess.