- Report: Victor Oladipo increasingly unlikely to receive ‘anything near’ maximum deal this offseason
- Kendrick Nunn shows he’s been fully vaccinated and exclaims COVID-19 ‘can kiss my a–‘
- Gabrielle Union dedicates lengthy, heartfelt tribute to DMX
- Report: Victor Oladipo will not travel with Miami Heat on upcoming road trip
- Report: Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem dragged into $160,000 eviction lawsuit over Miami pizzeria
- Video: Victor Oladipo exits game vs. Lakers after suffering non-contact injury
- Video: Jimmy Butler taunts Lakers while taking over in 4th quarter for Heat
- Video: Victor Oladipo throws down angry poster over Andre Drummond
- Tyler Herro admits he ‘definitely thought I would be starting’ as he comments on reserve role with Miami Heat
- Dwyane Wade slights Boston Celtics, says they don’t have an identity
Derrick Jones Jr. Explains Why Kyrie Irving Is His Favorite Player to Defend
- Updated: June 26, 2019
DJJ just said Kyrie is his favorite player to guard because of the challenge. Says he wants to be Defensive Player of the Year in the future
— alex (@tropicalblanket) June 26, 2019
Jones, 22, is coming off a career season with the Heat. The 6-foot-7 high-flyer put up a career-high 7.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per game last season.
Although the former dunk contest participant is known for his entertaining slams, Jones also turned into a viable defender, rotational piece and contributor off the bench for the Heat this past season.
Irving, 27, is one of the best point guards in the association. The eight-year pro has career averages of 22.2 points, 5.7 assists and 3.6 rebounds per game. The 2016 champion is currently an unrestricted free agent, though he is heavily expected to sign with the Brooklyn Nets.
Known for his flashy handles and amazing finishes around the rim, Irving is one of the hardest players to slow down. However, that makes it all the more fun for ambitious players, such as Jones, to take on the challenge and nurture their defensive prowess.