- Jason Williams Breaks His Silence, Proclaims LeBron James the G.O.A.T.
- Jae Crowder Praises Miami Heat Structure for Bringing Out Best in Their Players
- Udonis Haslem Doubles Down on Comments About Willing to Fight Michael Jordan
- Bam Adebayo Still Not Over Team USA Roster Cut as He Sends Strong Message to Critics
- Report: 12 Miami Heat Players Participated in Voluntary Workouts at AmericanAirlines Arena Today
- Boosie Badazz Stands Pat on Zaya Wade Comments: ‘I Ain’t Apologizing’
- Video: Udonis Haslem Showcases Incredible Portfolio of Businesses He Owns
- Udonis Haslem Says He Likely Would’ve Put Hands on Michael Jordan If He Played With Him
- Dwyane Wade Takes Offense to Being Known as ‘LeBron’s Teammate’ on Social Media
- Caron Butler Says LeBron James and Dwyane Wade Mocking Dirk Nowitzki Lost Them 2011 Finals
Report: Pat Riley Offered Udonis Haslem Coaching Job Over Summer
- Updated: September 28, 2019
According to a report, Riley offered the job to Haslem, who didn’t decide until August that he was going to return for his 17th NBA season. Though Haslem declined, Riley is certain he’ll see the power forward accept a coaching job eventually.
— Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) September 27, 2019
Assistant coach Juwan Howard left this summer to become the head coach of the University of Michigan, vacating a position on the Heat coaching staff that could have gone to Haslem.
But Haslem has said a few times that he doesn’t see himself as a coach after his playing career is over.
“When he left, we’re wide open,” Riley said about Haslem prior to his decision to come back for the 2019-20 season. “We had a great conversation about a lot of things and what he feels and how he feels about whether he should play his career, about the city, about the team.
“He told me that he’s not finished yet with these guys. He feels like he could do some more mentoring and that can be done in any capacity, whether he wants to play or it’s in another capacity.”
Riley added that he believes Haslem “would be an exceptional coach,” perhaps in the mold of Howard.
Only time will tell if Riley’s prediction will come true. For now, expect Haslem to give his 100 percent to the Heat as a player.