- Report: Miami Heat not willing to part with Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson and Precious Achiuwa for Bradley Beal
- Report: Miami Heat list 11 players on injury report ahead of game vs. Detroit Pistons
- Erik Spoelstra refuses to use ‘fatigue’ as excuse for Miami Heat’s recent losses
- Video: Chris Silva obliterates Joel Embiid with nasty block during Heat-76ers game
- Here’s the ridiculous package the Rockets wanted from the Heat for James Harden
- Report: Duncan Robinson now eligible for bigger contract after meeting ‘starter criteria’
- Report: NBA executive pegs Miami Heat as potential destination for P.J. Tucker
- Report: Victor Oladipo still hopes to join Miami Heat despite trade to Houston Rockets
- Jimmy Butler says Miami Heat still believe they should have won championship against Lakers
- Here’s the definitive reason why the Miami Heat weren’t serious contenders to trade for James Harden
Why tonight’s preseason game could be crucial in Miami’s pursuit of Jimmy Butler
- Updated: October 2, 2018
A potential deal lost steam over the weekend, and the saga ended with both sides at a standstill. Even though Butler has Miami high on his short list of landing spots, Tom Thibodeau and the Timberwolves are coming off as reluctant to trade the 29-year-old star.
Trade rumors rise again tonight as Minnesota has a scout in attendance while the Heat play the Charlotte Hornets. Former NBA player Pete Mickeal will take in the game on behalf of the Timberwolves organization.
Hmm, neither Heat nor Hornets play Timberwolves any time soon. But Minnesota is scheduled to have a scout here tonight in Charlotte, former NBA player Pete Mickeal.#FreeJimmyButler
— Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) October 2, 2018
Since Minnesota doesn’t need to prepare for either team playing tonight, the move will be met with wide speculation. Of course, the natural conclusion would be the Timberwolves still hold interest in a trade, but not until they get a good look at what they could be receiving in return.
Though unlikely, the move could be unrelated and made for other reasons. If the scout’s presence in Charlotte tonight is related to trade talks, then perhaps both organizations are close to a deal.
The Heat have some young players to trade away like Josh Richardson and Bam Adebayo, but as already reported, are not interested in doing so. The rest of this story could come down to a power struggle between Thibodeau and the former Marquette University standout.
The elephant in the room is the relationship between Butler and Thibodeau. The Houston, Texas native played for Thibodeau at his last stop, Chicago, before rejoining his former coach in Minnesota. As the two wear thin on each other’s patience, one of them will have to flinch.