- Jimmy Butler predicts why Miami Heat will succeed in playoffs: ‘We get there, us as a team, I’ll handle the rest’
- Erik Spoelstra says Bam Adebayo was ‘really angry’ Miami Heat kept him out of game vs. Houston Rockets
- Report: Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo available to play Wednesday vs. Spurs
- Stephen A. Smith and Spike Lee issue strong criticism regarding Dwyane Wade’s ownership stake in Utah Jazz
- Duncan Robinson’s humble reaction after passing Dwyane Wade in Miami Heat record books
- Report: Rockets player gets jumped at strip club, takes bottle to face in Miami day before taking on Heat
- Report: Miami Heat to be without Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro vs. Houston Rockets
- Report: Miami Heat have been ‘concerned now for months’ about Tyler Herro’s celebrity status
- Report: Miami Heat to be without Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro vs. Houston Rockets
- Dwyane Wade says Zaire has activated ‘Wade hops’ after he jumps over grown man for impressive dunk
Miami Heat News: Heat Waive Key Rotation Player After Loss to Toronto Raptors
- Updated: April 7, 2019
In the closing days of the 2018-19 season, the Miami Heat are getting a head start on their plans for next year. On Sunday, they released swingman Rodney McGruder, who wasn’t seen as a building block for the team’s future.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) April 7, 2019
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) April 7, 2019
Until signing with the Heat as a free agent in July 2016, the 27-year-old McGruder had struggled to stay in the league after having been released by both Oklahoma City and Boston.
During the 2016-17 campaign, he started 65 of 78 contests and averaged 9.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.
However, he was limited to 18 games last season because of injury and also spent time with the Heat’s G League team. This year, he averaged 11.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists entering Sunday’s contest in Toronto.
The move by the Heat does allow another team to pick him up before the end of the regular season this week.