- Dwyane Wade Ranks Himself, LeBron James and Chris Bosh in Terms of Talent
- Danny Ainge Says Ray Allen Joining Miami Will Affect Boston’s Decision to Retire His Jersey
- Volleyball Player Says She ‘Messed Up’ After Swerving Derrick Jones Jr. in Her DMs
- Bam Adebayo’s Confidence ‘Through the Roof’ After Impressive All-Star Weekend
- Report: Derrick Jones Jr. Lands Puma Deal After Slam Dunk Contest Win
- Report: Jimmy Butler ‘Angry’ He Wasn’t Inserted in 4th Quarter of All-Star Game
- Video: Common’s All-Star Game Tribute to Dwyane Wade Moves Him to Tears
- Bam Adebayo Says He’d Take Jimmy Butler 1-on-1 Because ‘He’s Trash’
- Video: Dwyane Wade Claps Back at Haters Saying He Rigged the Dunk Contest
- LeBron James Reacts to Aaron Gordon Getting Robbed in 2020 NBA Slam Dunk Contest
Miami Heat News: Heat Waive Key Rotation Player After Loss to Toronto Raptors
- Updated: April 7, 2019
In the closing days of the 2018-19 season, the Miami Heat are getting a head start on their plans for next year. On Sunday, they released swingman Rodney McGruder, who wasn’t seen as a building block for the team’s future.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) April 7, 2019
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) April 7, 2019
Until signing with the Heat as a free agent in July 2016, the 27-year-old McGruder had struggled to stay in the league after having been released by both Oklahoma City and Boston.
During the 2016-17 campaign, he started 65 of 78 contests and averaged 9.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.
However, he was limited to 18 games last season because of injury and also spent time with the Heat’s G League team. This year, he averaged 11.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists entering Sunday’s contest in Toronto.
The move by the Heat does allow another team to pick him up before the end of the regular season this week.