- Kendrick Perkins Roasts Hassan Whiteside, Says Pat Riley Sold ‘Used Buick’ to Trail Blazers
- Kendrick Nunn Credits Erik Spoelstra With Creating Championship Culture for Miami Heat
- Dwyane Wade Celebrates Carmelo Anthony Signing With Portland Trail Blazers
- Meyers Leonard Thinks Tenure With Miami Heat Could Be Long Term
- Dwyane Wade Credits Own Sneakers for Helping D’Angelo Russell Posterize LeBron James
- LeBron Says He Was ‘Scared as S—‘ When He Returned to Cleveland After Joining Heat
- Gabrielle Union Reveals When She Finds Dwyane Wade at His ‘Sexiest’
- Chris Bosh: ‘Playing With LeBron Was Like Buying a Ferrari’
- Report: Miami Heat Players Look Forward to Practice Because of Jimmy Butler
- Report: ‘3 Other Events’ Involving Dion Waiters Haven’t Been Reported
Miami Heat News: Heat Sign Tyler Johnson to 10-Day Contract
- Updated: January 12, 2015
The Miami Heat have finally filled their final roster spot.
Shooting guard Tyler Johnson was called up from the Heat’s D-League affiliate, the Sioux Falls Skyforce, on Monday to fill the vacant roster spot left over for when the team released Andre Dawkins last week. Johnson will likely sign a 10-day contract with the team before Tuesday’s game versus the Los Angeles Lakers at the Staples Center.
The undrafted rookie free agent received a training camp invite during the Heat’s preseason. Despite making just three appearances, the shooting guard impressed in a preseason victory over the San Antonio Spurs when he scored 17 points, including the go-ahead 3-pointer in overtime that sealed the game for Miami.
After being cut before the season started, the Heat signed Johnson to a D-League contract. He averaged 18.5 points in 13 appearances for Sioux Falls this season, ranking third on the squad in total points scored.
The move is with the intention that there will be more depth behind Dwyane Wade. Mario Chalmers has been starting for the past couple weeks at point guard, with James Ennis frequently logging minutes at the swingman position off the bench.
Johnson will rejoin former Sioux Falls teammates Shabazz Napier and Hassan Whiteside with the Heat. Miami is allowed to offer Johnson one more 10-day contract after the completion of his first 10-day agreement. Following the conclusion of Johnson’s second-day contract, the Heat will be forced to either sign Johnson for the rest of the season or release him.