- Anthony Edwards makes it clear he approves of Jimmy Butler and Karl-Anthony Towns talking trash
- Bam Adebayo offers hilarious reason why Boston Celtics were ‘not my worry’ after Miami Heat win
- Video: Jimmy Butler talks trash to Karl-Anthony Towns, says he’s ‘soft as baby s–t’
- Report: Miami Heat update injury report for Friday’s matchup vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Video: Zaire Wade does his best LeBron James impersonation on the basketball court
- Report: Miami Heat likely to look for replacement for Dewayne Dedmon if he explores free agency
- Report: Joe Johnson ‘intrigued’ by Miami Heat, likes Jimmy Butler’s role with team
- Report: Bucks aimed great deal of frustration at Mike Budenholzer after they lost to Heat in last year’s playoffs
- League executives and scouts agree that the Miami Heat will be the toughest out in the play-in tournament
- Erik Spoelstra vows to play Udonis Haslem before season ends: ‘I’m going to make it happen’
Report: Hassan Whiteside Had Nearly $2 Million Stolen by Lawyer Michael Avenatti
- Updated: April 21, 2019
The money was intended to go to Whiteside’s former girlfriend, Alexis Gardner, but was instead embezzled by Avenatti, which came to light in bank records and in an April 10 indictment of the Los Angeles lawyer.
Avenatti represented Gardner, as she was looking to file a potential lawsuit against Whiteside. It’s unclear what she would have alleged, according to the Los Angeles Times, but a settlement was quickly reached.
Whiteside was expected to pay $3 million in total, with the $2.75 million being his first payment. $1 million of that was to be paid to Avenatti in legal fees, yet prosecutors allege that the attorney immediately took $2.5 million to buy a share of a private jet.
“We entered into a mutually agreed upon settlement more than two years ago following the end of our relationship; a settlement that reflected Alexis’ investment of time and support over a number of years as Hassan pursued a career in the NBA,” Whiteside and Gardner told the Los Angeles Times in a statement released by his agent.
“It is unfortunate that something that was meant to be kept private between us is now being publicly reported. We have both moved on amicably and wish nothing but the best for each other.”