- Report: Miami Heat request Zoom session with intriguing big man Jalen Smith
- Report: Miami Heat expressing interest in dynamic Denver Nuggets forward
- Miami Heat’s Jimmy Butler seen repping Dwyane Wade in epic fashion
- Report: Victor Oladipo’s interest in joining Miami higher than Heat’s interest in him
- Dwyane Wade promotes powerful message on why LeBron James deserves more respect
- Jae Crowder admits he had nightmare about NBA Finals, sends epic message to Heat Nation
- Report: Miami Heat could target Paul Millsap, Aron Baynes if Jae Crowder signs elsewhere
- Report: Miami Heat’s ability to trade for star like Bradley Beal may hinge on Kelly Olynyk
- Jimmy Butler severely disrespected in 2021 NBA MVP odds
- Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro reflects on NBA Finals loss with motivational social media post
Miami Heat Rumors: Heat Have Emerged as Frontrunner to Sign Joe Johnson
- Updated: February 26, 2016
The status of former Brooklyn Nets guard Joe Johnson will remain up in the air until at least Saturday at 5 p.m., but one report indicates that the Miami Heat have emerged as the frontrunner to sign the 34-year-old veteran guard.
That information comes from a tweet posted by ESPN’s Chris Broussard on Friday afternoon:
Source: Miami Heat have emerged as the frontrunner to sign Joe Johnson. JJ feels he'd have a larger role & more meaningful minutes with Heat
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) February 26, 2016
Johnson will officially clear waivers on Saturday afternoon, with a number of teams vying for his services. One of the main rivals against the Heat in this pursuit are the Cleveland Cavaliers, who are looking for more depth in their backcourt.
Another factor in Johnson’s final decision may be based on how much money a team will be able to pay him for the remainder of this season after he accepted the Nets’ buyout offer on Thursday.