- Report: James Johnson Unlikely to Play in Miami Heat’s Season Opener
- Report: Dwyane Wade to Become TNT Analyst After Signing Deal With WarnerMedia
- Jimmy Butler Says He Wants to Stay With Miami Heat for Rest of Career
- Dwyane Wade Posts Video of Sick Zaire Wade-LeBron James Jr. Alley-Oop
- Report: Bam Adebayo Working With Chris Bosh on How to Stretch Floor
- Goran Dragic Graciously Accepting Role Off Bench for Miami Heat
- Miami Heat News: Zion Williamson Won’t Make Appearance in Miami This Season
- Jimmy Butler Sees Himself in Tyler Herro: ‘He Don’t Give a Damn’
- Report: Dion Waiters Suspension Led to Relief Within Miami Heat Organization
- Report: Miami Heat Have Been Trying to Trade Dion Waiters Since Last Christmas
Report: Miami Heat Are Looking for Starting-Caliber Small Forward
- Updated: July 22, 2019
Though the recently acquired Jimmy Butler has played the position for the Minnesota Timberwolves and Philadelphia 76ers in the past, it appears that the Heat are looking to play him at the starting shooting guard position this season.
Two possible options could be veterans Jae Crowder and Robert Covington.
It can be assumed that moving Butler to the shooting guard spot would leave the Heat with Justise Winslow as the team’s starter at the 3. However, if the Heat do end up acquiring a starting-caliber small forward, then the four-year pro may start the regular season as the team’s primary point guard.
Winslow took over the point guard duties when Goran Dragic was injured last season.
This would indicate that the Heat are almost certainly interested in moving Dragic before the summer is over. Moreover, if the Heat are interested in acquiring a small forward via a trade, then Dragic might be a key piece that makes that possible.
Miami does not seem finished revamping its roster this offseason, so expect more news and rumors to swirl regarding the Heat’s involvement in potential trade talks.