- Dwyane Wade Responds to Damian Lillard’s Clutch Performance With Warning to Haters
- Report: Miami Heat List Numerous Key Players on Injury Report vs. Indiana Pacers
- David Fizdale Reveals What Dwyane Wade Told LeBron James After Losing 2011 Finals
- Indiana Pacers Star Offers Bold Message About Beating Miami Heat in Upcoming Playoff Series
- Duncan Robinson Pays Tribute to ‘Real One’ Jimmy Butler for Truck-Sticking Chris Paul
- Jimmy Butler on Tyler Herro: ‘He Wants to Bring a Championship to Miami’
- Jimmy Butler Explains Why He Truck Sticked Chris Paul During Heat-Thunder Game
- Report: Indiana Pacers Forward T.J. Warren Dealing With Significant Injury
- Chris Bosh Reacts to Historic News of Joe Biden Selecting Kamala Harris as Running Mate
- Report: Miami Heat’s 1st Round Playoff Opponent Officially Set
Report: Jimmy Butler to Wear No. 22 With Miami Heat
- Updated: July 13, 2019
Looks like Butler is rocking #22 in Miami. #HEATCulture
— JP (@AwfulTakes) July 13, 2019
Butler is unable to wear No. 23 because Heat team president Pat Riley chose to retire the number in honor of Michael Jordan, who is considered by many as the greatest player in NBA history.
It was the franchise’s way of honoring Jordan before his final game in Miami back in 2003. It was an unusual move for the Heat since the five-time MVP never played a single game for them. It was also the first jersey number that the organization retired.
Interestingly, this is the second time that Butler won’t be allowed to wear the number because of Jordan’s legacy. During his first six years in the league, whether forcibly or not, Butler wore No. 21 for the Chicago Bulls since Jordan’s No. 23 deservedly hangs from United Center’s rafters due to Jordan’s storied career with the team.
Butler chose to wear No. 21 to honor Joe Fulce, a college teammate from Tyler Junior College.
Now with Miami, Butler will be rocking a new number once again thanks to Jordan’s immense shadow.