- Report: Miami Heat ‘Most Dangerous Team’ to Make Deal Going Forward
- Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving Laud Tyler Herro With Words of Praise
- Hassan Whiteside Dedicates Social Media Post to Former Miami Heat Teammates
- Miami Heat News: Derrick Jones Jr. to Participate in 2020 Slam Dunk Contest
- Report: Duncan Robinson Considered ‘Near Lock’ to Participate in 3-Point Contest
- Kendrick Nunn and Duncan Robinson React to Contracts With Miami Heat Becoming Fully Guaranteed
- Miami Heat News: Jimmy Butler Out Sunday vs. Portland Trail Blazers
- Jimmy Butler Says Miami Heat Not Displaying ‘Culture We Pride Ourselves On’
- Hassan Whiteside Expecting Boos From Miami Heat Crowd in Return Contest
- Jimmy Butler Heavily Criticizes Miami Heat’s Effort and Attitude After Loss to Orlando Magic
Report: Jimmy Butler to Wear No. 22 With Miami Heat
- Updated: July 13, 2019
Looks like Butler is rocking #22 in Miami. #HEATCulture
— JP (@AwfulTakes) July 13, 2019
Butler is unable to wear No. 23 because Heat team president Pat Riley chose to retire the number in honor of Michael Jordan, who is considered by many as the greatest player in NBA history.
It was the franchise’s way of honoring Jordan before his final game in Miami back in 2003. It was an unusual move for the Heat since the five-time MVP never played a single game for them. It was also the first jersey number that the organization retired.
Interestingly, this is the second time that Butler won’t be allowed to wear the number because of Jordan’s legacy. During his first six years in the league, whether forcibly or not, Butler wore No. 21 for the Chicago Bulls since Jordan’s No. 23 deservedly hangs from United Center’s rafters due to Jordan’s storied career with the team.
Butler chose to wear No. 21 to honor Joe Fulce, a college teammate from Tyler Junior College.
Now with Miami, Butler will be rocking a new number once again thanks to Jordan’s immense shadow.