- Wayne Ellington Explains How Putting on Miami Heat Jersey Made Him Feel ‘Valued’
- Dwyane Wade Has Amazing Response for High Schooler Talking Trash About Zaire Wade’s Team
- Report: Devin Booker Could Be Target for Miami Heat If They Strike Out in 2021
- Report: Bradley Beal Still Weighing Extension With Wizards, Heat to Receive ‘Serious’ Consideration
- KZ Okpala Talks Adding Muscle, ‘Being as Versatile as Possible’ Going Into Rookie Year
- Kendrick Nunn’s High School Coach: ‘He’s Right Up There’ With Alums Derrick Rose and Jabari Parker
- Report: Ice Cube Looking to Add Dwyane Wade to BIG3 in the Future
- Miami Heat News: 3 Players Expected to Compete for Pair of 2-Way Contracts
- Dwyane Wade to Join Chinese Reality Show ‘Dunk of China’
- Tyler Herro Comes to Kyle Kuzma’s Defense After Other NBA Players Destroy Him
Report: Jimmy Butler to Wear No. 22 With Miami Heat
- Updated: July 13, 2019
Looks like Butler is rocking #22 in Miami. #HEATCulture
— JP (@AwfulTakes) July 13, 2019
Butler is unable to wear No. 23 because Heat team president Pat Riley chose to retire the number in honor of Michael Jordan, who is considered by many as the greatest player in NBA history.
It was the franchise’s way of honoring Jordan before his final game in Miami back in 2003. It was an unusual move for the Heat since the five-time MVP never played a single game for them. It was also the first jersey number that the organization retired.
Interestingly, this is the second time that Butler won’t be allowed to wear the number because of Jordan’s legacy. During his first six years in the league, whether forcibly or not, Butler wore No. 21 for the Chicago Bulls since Jordan’s No. 23 deservedly hangs from United Center’s rafters due to Jordan’s storied career with the team.
Butler chose to wear No. 21 to honor Joe Fulce, a college teammate from Tyler Junior College.
Now with Miami, Butler will be rocking a new number once again thanks to Jordan’s immense shadow.