- Rapper Jack Harlow releases official music video for hit single ‘Tyler Herro’
- Chris Bosh urges Miami Heat to not sacrifice Bam Adebayo to acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Report: NBA 2K21 rewards Jimmy Butler with stunning player rating after playoff run
- New study identifies Miami Heat fans as most exciting team to follow in NBA
- Kendrick Perkins makes bold claim about Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro
- Report: Miami Heat insider breaks down how team could acquire Danilo Gallinari
- Report: Jimmy Butler amongst stars whose stock rose highest in NBA bubble
- Report: Miami Heat already locking in on their next promising draft prospect
- Duncan Robinson says Lakers trash-talking during NBA Finals included calling him ‘Jimmy Neutron’
- Report: Kelly Olynyk expected to opt in for 2020-21 season with Miami Heat
Report: Jimmy Butler to Wear No. 22 With Miami Heat
- Updated: July 13, 2019
Looks like Butler is rocking #22 in Miami. #HEATCulture
— JP (@AwfulTakes) July 13, 2019
Butler is unable to wear No. 23 because Heat team president Pat Riley chose to retire the number in honor of Michael Jordan, who is considered by many as the greatest player in NBA history.
It was the franchise’s way of honoring Jordan before his final game in Miami back in 2003. It was an unusual move for the Heat since the five-time MVP never played a single game for them. It was also the first jersey number that the organization retired.
Interestingly, this is the second time that Butler won’t be allowed to wear the number because of Jordan’s legacy. During his first six years in the league, whether forcibly or not, Butler wore No. 21 for the Chicago Bulls since Jordan’s No. 23 deservedly hangs from United Center’s rafters due to Jordan’s storied career with the team.
Butler chose to wear No. 21 to honor Joe Fulce, a college teammate from Tyler Junior College.
Now with Miami, Butler will be rocking a new number once again thanks to Jordan’s immense shadow.