- Dwyane Wade Unveils His All-Time Starting 5 of Former Teammates
- Report: Miami Heat Expected to Trade Problematic Dion Waiters
- Kendrick Nunn Reveals Wisdom Dwyane Wade Imparted on Him in Los Angeles
- Report: Dion Waiters Panic Attack Has Been Disputed by Source With Direct Knowledge
- Kevin Durant Urges Dwyane Wade to Come Out of Retirement
- Chris Bosh Claims Kendrick Nunn Has Been Best Rookie in NBA Thus Far
- Report: Tyler Herro and Kelly Olynyk Questionable Tuesday vs. Detroit Pistons
- Report: No Buyout Coming for Dion Waiters, Miami Heat to Welcome Him Back Following Suspension
- Report: Miami Heat Provided Dion Waiters ‘Ample Opportunities’ to Redeem Himself
- Report: Miami Heat Teammate Gave Dion Waiters THC-Infused Gummy
Udonis Haslem Explains Why Jimmy Butler Will Be Valuable as Miami Heat Leader
- Updated: August 24, 2019
However, Heat veteran forward Udonis Haslem feels that Butler’s leadership skills will also be a huge asset.
When he re-signed for the his 17th season with the Heat, Haslem explained what’s needed when it comes to leadership and how Butler’s leadership can help fill the gaping void left by the retirement of Dwyane Wade:
“Another guy who can drive these guys, but not just off the court or in practice like I do. Somebody that actually drives these guys in the game, push these guys, play at an intense level in the game and do some of the things I try to do from the bench. But it’s always different when you have a guy in the game that’s driving guys like that.”
Haslem has largely been limited to providing leadership from the bench in recent years, seeing little action on the court. However, it’s that knack for connecting with teammates and his willingness to call them out when necessary that compelled the team to welcome him back for another year.
Still, the window for Haslem to continue in that role seems to be on the verge of closing. That means that the Heat needs for Butler to stand up and work in concert with Haslem to lead the team back to the playoffs.
That should smooth the transition for when Haslem finally does ultimately retire.
There are critics who don’t believe that Butler is capable of taking over a leadership, given his stormy exit with the Minnesota Timberwolves and his high level of intensity.
In the latter case, that intensity can turn some teammates away, but the Heat are hoping that his fiery spirit will mesh perfectly with the highly competitive Heat culture.