- Rapper Jack Harlow releases official music video for hit single ‘Tyler Herro’
- Chris Bosh urges Miami Heat to not sacrifice Bam Adebayo to acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Report: NBA 2K21 rewards Jimmy Butler with stunning player rating after playoff run
- New study identifies Miami Heat fans as most exciting team to follow in NBA
- Kendrick Perkins makes bold claim about Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro
- Report: Miami Heat insider breaks down how team could acquire Danilo Gallinari
- Report: Jimmy Butler amongst stars whose stock rose highest in NBA bubble
- Report: Miami Heat already locking in on their next promising draft prospect
- Duncan Robinson says Lakers trash-talking during NBA Finals included calling him ‘Jimmy Neutron’
- Report: Kelly Olynyk expected to opt in for 2020-21 season with Miami Heat
LeBron James: ‘The Miami Heat Are Going to Be Contenders This Year’
- Updated: July 12, 2015
The restructuring of the Miami Heat is in good shape according to former Heat forward LeBron James, who said in a Sunday radio interview that the team was set to be a contender during the 2015-16 season.
James, who returned to the Cleveland Cavaliers last year after spending four seasons with the Heat, made the comments on Sirius XM’s Bleacher Report Radio, which was then reported by The Sun Sentinel. He particularly noted Miami’s solid draft pick up of Duke University’s Justise Winslow and the free agent signing of Gerald Green.
“I think Miami is doing some great things,” said James. “They’ve added some big pieces. They signed Amare (Stoudamire), I saw that…and the re-signing of (Goran) Dragic and C-B (Chris Bosh) coming back, one of my good friends, he’s coming back off of injury, and by getting D-Wade (Dwyane Wade) back, they’re going to be a contender.”
Noting how some teams, particularly the Atlanta Hawks, have been affected by free agency, James said that each season brings with it a new look that gives it an air of unpredictability.
“The landscape continues to change every year,” he said. “You see that. So many teams can be there. So many teams got better. Some teams that were good last year will probably fall off because they lost some integral pieces of their team. But you see every year, teams come, teams go.”
James also spoke about his continuing connection with Wade, who some believed would spurn the Heat to rejoin James in Cleveland. The two vacationed in the Caribbean with their wives, along with Carmelo Anthony, Chis Paul and their wives.
“We were on vacation far away,” James said. “Everyone says we were in the Bahamas, but we were like seven miles away from Atlantis. We took a boat out, got far, far away from the madness.”