- Report: Udonis Haslem Joins LeBron James in Fight Against Black Voter Suppression
- Report: Miami Heat Interested in Acquiring Denver Nuggets’ Paul Millsap This Summer
- Meyers Leonard Fires NSFW Shot at NASCAR Driver for Quitting Because of Confederate Flag Ban
- Mario Chalmers Indicates He’s Ready to Replace NBA Players That Aren’t Willing to Return This Season
- Report: Miami Heat Players ‘All in’ for Restarting Season, Aren’t Pushing NBA to Change Protocols
- Chris Silva Opens Up About Heartbreaking Loss of Former Coach and ‘Father Figure’
- Report: Miami Heat Have ‘Made It Known’ They’ll Target Giannis Antetokounmpo, Victor Oladipo in 2021
- Report: ‘Faction of Players’ Discussing If NBA Restart Is ‘Good Idea’
- Video: Dwyane Wade, Erik Spoelstra Show Udonis Haslem Love During Massive Birthday Extravaganza
- Dwyane Wade Reminisces on His Iconic Pregame Routine With Miami Heat
Justise Winslow Says Derrick Jones Jr. Deserves Big Contract: ‘Show Him the Money’
- Updated: January 9, 2020
Now back in the Miami Heat lineup after missing 15 games, Winslow believes Jones deserves to get a big contract once his existing deal expires in the offseason.
“Oh, he hooping,” Winslow said of his teammate who will become a free agent in the offseason. “Pay that man. Pay him. Show him the money.
“Nah, but he’s a great player. He’s really built for this league, with his versatility, and the way he’s able to stretch the floor now. He’s also a lob threat. That’s just the brink of iceberg for him. He can really handle the ball and attack. But that’ll continue to come and grow.”
Winslow’s endorsement of Jones is a positive sign of the Heat locker room’s healthy environment.
Since Dec. 6 when Winslow was sidelined, Jones has been averaging 10.9 points 4.9 rebounds and 1.5 steals in 30.4 minutes per game. Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra’s increased confidence in the 6-foot-6 forward has given Jones the playing time he needs to showcase his ever-expanding game.
Jones signed a two-year, $3.1 million contract with the Heat in 2018. The franchise may ultimately listen to Winslow’s suggestion and offer Jones a heftier paycheck this summer if he continues to display his well-rounded game in the months ahead.