- Report: Miami Heat not willing to part with Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson and Precious Achiuwa for Bradley Beal
- Report: Miami Heat list 11 players on injury report ahead of game vs. Detroit Pistons
- Erik Spoelstra refuses to use ‘fatigue’ as excuse for Miami Heat’s recent losses
- Video: Chris Silva obliterates Joel Embiid with nasty block during Heat-76ers game
- Here’s the ridiculous package the Rockets wanted from the Heat for James Harden
- Report: Duncan Robinson now eligible for bigger contract after meeting ‘starter criteria’
- Report: NBA executive pegs Miami Heat as potential destination for P.J. Tucker
- Report: Victor Oladipo still hopes to join Miami Heat despite trade to Houston Rockets
- Jimmy Butler says Miami Heat still believe they should have won championship against Lakers
- Here’s the definitive reason why the Miami Heat weren’t serious contenders to trade for James Harden
Erik Spoelstra’s Perfect Response to Idea of Miami Heat Tanking
- Updated: February 23, 2019
The Miami Heat have had a pretty trying go of it on the court the last two months, and some believe that they should pack it in and tank the rest of the 2018-19 season in order to draft a top talent in the upcoming draft.
One person who does not believe that is Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra.
“We’re not playing for ping pong balls,” said Spoelstra. “That would be misery.”
Spoelstra is the perfect coach for Miami, and it’s moments like these that make that fact abundantly clear. While tanking is an enticing prospect, it simply is not the Heat way.
Right now, the 27-31 Heat are a full game back behind the 27-30 Detroit Pistons, who currently lay claim to the eighth and final spot in the playoff standings.
While things have certainly not been going Spoelstra and company’s way as of late, there is still ample time to go on a run and grab a playoff spot.
Still, the Heat have won just five of their last 16 games. Even if they’re not trying to play for ping pong balls and the draft lottery, they’re still well on their way to a lottery pick.