- Erik Spoelstra Heavily Praises James Harden, Calls His Ability to Draw Fouls ‘Genius’
- Miami Heat News: Jimmy Butler Out for Tonight’s Game vs. Houston Rockets
- Cavs Executive on Dion Waiters’ Problems in Cleveland: ‘Dion Was F—— Us Up on the Court’
- Jimmy Butler Says NBA Players Don’t Talk Trash to Him Because He’ll Slap Them
- Jimmy Butler Says He’s Taking Kobe Bryant Over LeBron James
- Report: Justise Winslow Likely to Return for Wednesday’s Matchup vs. Houston Rockets
- Jimmy Butler Calls Miami Heat Big 3 Most Unstoppable Team He’s Ever Faced
- Chris Paul Clowns Dwyane Wade For Being 1 Member of Banana Boat Crew No Longer Playing
- Wayne Ellington Compares Current New York Knicks to 2016-17 Miami Heat
- Report: Justise Winslow Remains Out, Still Hasn’t Fulfilled Concussion Protocol Requirements
Erik Spoelstra Heavily Praises James Harden, Calls His Ability to Draw Fouls ‘Genius’
- Updated: November 27, 2019
Though many have maligned the 2017-18 MVP for how he goes about his craft, which sometimes includes exaggerating contact, Spoelstra believes Harden is a genius. He practically stopped short of calling Harden the best in league history at drawing fouls from his opponents.
Erik Spoelstra on James Harden, "He has the genius nuances to be able to draw fouls like I've never seen anybody be able to do it."
— Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) November 27, 2019
Free-throw attempts are an excellent measuring stick of how good a player is at creating contact. For most of his career, Harden has been one of the league leaders in free-throw attempts. In fact, he has led the league in free-throw attempts six times and is on pace to do it again this season.
Additionally, the seven-time All-Star is on track to set a career-high this season as he has a total of 241 free-throw attempts so far and is currently averaging 14.2 free-throw attempts per game.
Regardless of his methods, Harden is extremely effective at drawing fouls, and Spoelstra may have hit the nail on the head on how to properly describe the 6-foot-5 guard’s unusual talent.