- Dejected Bam Adebayo has harsh message for himself after Game 5 loss to Celtics
- Video: Jaylen Brown blows kiss to Miami Heat bench after making back-to-back 3s
- Video: Udonis Haslem seen ripping into Miami Heat players in 3rd quarter of Game 5
- Dwyane Wade speaks on how ‘personal’ LeBron James Lakers vs. Pat Riley Heat matchup would be
- Draymond Green latest NBA star to rave about Jimmy Butler’s style of leadership
- Video: Charles Barkley goes off on Shaquille O’Neal for comparing Goran Dragic to Chris Paul
- C.J. McCollum clowns haters who have called Jimmy Butler a ‘bad teammate’
- Miami Heat’s Goran Dragic sends personal tribute to Tyler Herro after historic performance
- Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro now has top-selling jersey in NBA after Game 4 for the ages
- Stephen A. Smith makes bold statement about potential Miami Heat-Los Angeles Lakers finals matchup
Dwyane Wade Expresses Deep Sympathy After Tragic Death of Nipsey Hussle
- Updated: April 1, 2019
On Sunday, the world of hip-hop lost an icon when Los Angeles rapper Nipsey Hussle (born Ermias Asghedom) was tragically shot near his own clothing store in the area of Slauson Avenue and Crenshaw Boulevard.
Ashghedom was a noted basketball fan and would often sit courtside at games in L.A.’s Staples Center.
“I mean very shocking,” he said in advance of the Heat’s game against the Boston Celtics. “Obviously a tragedy, especially when it hits close to home. One of my good friends is his partner, Lauren London. So it definitely was, for me and my family, it was very shocking to hear the news.
“And then you think about the kids, you think about his kids, you think about his family. That’s immediately what you go to. Your heart goes out to his family and his young kids that he has.”
Wade wasn’t done there. He remarked on what Ashghedom had done for his community.
“And it’s unfortunate, as we continue to lose so many important young men in this world, especially the ones who are doing good and are trying to do good for others,” he said. “It’s a big loss. It’s a big loss for our community. It’s a big loss for his family. It’s a big loss for this world.
“So it’s a sad night. It’s a sad day for us, for everyone who loves his music, everyone who got a chance to get to know him and everyone who knows his family.”
He admitted that while he does not have a personal relationship with the rapper, as many of his NBA colleagues do, he has respected his work from afar for years.
“I’ve respected him from afar,” he said. “I respect his music. I’ve just been starting to become a fan of his music as I’ve been more in the L.A. vibe, just understanding culture.
“So just more so than anything, just respecting what he was trying to create and what he was trying to do in this community and with our youth and with the next generation, just really trying to make a positive impact. And he was a positive influence for so many others.”
It’s a tragic loss for the city of Los Angeles and the world of music and culture. Hopefully fellow stars like Wade speaking out about his impact will help his memory live on.