- Report: Avery Bradley announces exact date he plans to return for Miami Heat
- Report: Miami Heat optimistic that Avery Bradley and Jimmy Butler will return by end of week
- Report: Major update offered on when Jimmy Butler could return for Miami Heat
- Former Miami Heat forward reveals he’s been getting recurring death threats, fears being separated from daughter
- Udonis Haslem sends NSFW message about connection with James Harden
- Video: Security hilariously stops Bam Adebayo from swapping jerseys with Kyrie Irving
- Robin Lopez called out Miami Heat for being ‘thespians’ after Tyler Herro embellished contact
- Report: 3 Miami Heat players included in Team USA’s 2021 Olympic player pool
- Report: Jimmy Butler, Tyler Herro and Avery Bradley will not join Miami Heat on road trip
- Report: Tyler Herro to miss Miami Heat’s next 3 games with latest injury
Dwyane Wade Expresses Deep Sympathy After Tragic Death of Nipsey Hussle
- Updated: April 1, 2019
On Sunday, the world of hip-hop lost an icon when Los Angeles rapper Nipsey Hussle (born Ermias Asghedom) was tragically shot near his own clothing store in the area of Slauson Avenue and Crenshaw Boulevard.
Ashghedom was a noted basketball fan and would often sit courtside at games in L.A.’s Staples Center.
“I mean very shocking,” he said in advance of the Heat’s game against the Boston Celtics. “Obviously a tragedy, especially when it hits close to home. One of my good friends is his partner, Lauren London. So it definitely was, for me and my family, it was very shocking to hear the news.
“And then you think about the kids, you think about his kids, you think about his family. That’s immediately what you go to. Your heart goes out to his family and his young kids that he has.”
Wade wasn’t done there. He remarked on what Ashghedom had done for his community.
“And it’s unfortunate, as we continue to lose so many important young men in this world, especially the ones who are doing good and are trying to do good for others,” he said. “It’s a big loss. It’s a big loss for our community. It’s a big loss for his family. It’s a big loss for this world.
“So it’s a sad night. It’s a sad day for us, for everyone who loves his music, everyone who got a chance to get to know him and everyone who knows his family.”
He admitted that while he does not have a personal relationship with the rapper, as many of his NBA colleagues do, he has respected his work from afar for years.
“I’ve respected him from afar,” he said. “I respect his music. I’ve just been starting to become a fan of his music as I’ve been more in the L.A. vibe, just understanding culture.
“So just more so than anything, just respecting what he was trying to create and what he was trying to do in this community and with our youth and with the next generation, just really trying to make a positive impact. And he was a positive influence for so many others.”
It’s a tragic loss for the city of Los Angeles and the world of music and culture. Hopefully fellow stars like Wade speaking out about his impact will help his memory live on.