- Here’s the ridiculous amount of money Duncan Robinson could make next summer
- Tyler Herro on how he became friends with Jack Harlow: ‘Honestly, just both being white’
- Miami Heat point guard Goran Dragic gives promising update on latest foot injury
- Report: Miami Heat exercise team option on guard Tyler Herro
- Tyler Herro’s big personal goal for upcoming NBA season
- Details emerge about Jimmy Butler’s rumored romance with Selena Gomez
- Report: Bradley Beal will be No. 1 target for Miami Heat if unable to land Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Report: Jimmy Butler offered Bam Adebayo part-owner stake in his coffee business for $2.5 million
- Precious Achiuwa reveals Tyler Herro reached out right after draft to invite him to workout
- Miami Heat unveil jaw-dropping ‘ViceVersa’ uniforms for upcoming season
Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Said They Received Backlash After Birth of Their Daughter
- Updated: December 2, 2018
The joy felt by Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade and his wife Gabrielle Union was marred somewhat by backlash over the way in which their daughter’s birth announcement was presented. That resulted in the couple explaining to Oprah Winfrey their reasons behind taking that approach.
Critics had commented on the fact that the 46-year-old Union was pictured in a hospital bed holding the infant, despite the fact that the child was born to a surrogate.
Union emotionally explained to Winfrey that her past struggles with infertility were connected to the decision to use the photo:
“I’m already getting choked up. It’s still hard to let go.”
View this post on Instagram
? When I wake up in the mornin' love And the sunlight hurts my eyes And there's something without warning, love Bears heavy on my mind Then I look at you And the world's alright with me Just one look at you And I know its gonna be A lovely day A lovely day ? A LOVELY DAY ?????? We are sleepless and delirious but so excited to share that our miracle baby arrived last night via surrogate and 11/7 will forever be etched in our hearts as the most loveliest of all the lovely days. Welcome to the party sweet girl! #onelastdance #skintoskin @dwyanewade ❤?? ? by @awesomeedd
Last year, Union published a memoir that explored her struggle to have a child of her own, a period that included what she said were eight or nine miscarriages. Those issues were related to her being diagnosed with Adenomyosis, a type of endometriosis that only occurs in the uterus.
“For three years, my body has been a prisoner of trying to get pregnant — I’ve either been about to go into an IVF cycle, in the middle of an IVF cycle or coming out of an IVF cycle.”
In September 2017, Union had described to PEOPLE how her relationship with Wade, which included their 2014 marriage, changed her mind about having children:
“I never wanted kids. Then I became a stepmom, and there was no place I’d rather be than with them.
“So then I thought, ‘Well maybe I might be good at this, and maybe this is something I want to explore.’ And I’m madly in love with this dude, so [having a baby] is something we could look into.”
The naming of Wade and Union’s daughter didn’t come immediately, but Wade explained on social media the origin of the unique name of Kaavia James Union Wade:
Wade and Union’s interview with Winfrey will air on OWN on Dec. 8.