- Miami Heat’s Erik Spoelstra on Why Jimmy Butler Wasn’t in at End of 4th Quarter of Game 3
- Brad Stevens Reveals What Boston Celtics Did to Contain Goran Dragic in Game 3
- Meyers Leonard’s Wife Shows Off Huge Difference Between Miami Heat and Boston Celtics Benches
- Report: Boston Celtics Offer Huge Update on Gordon Hayward’s Status for Game 3
- Video: Goran Dragic Reveals Owner of Direct Competitor to Jimmy Butler’s Big Face Coffee
- Bam Adebayo and Goran Dragic Gush Over Multiple Unique Qualities of Erik Spoelstra
- Dwyane Wade Makes Pointed Statement About Underrated Erik Spoelstra: ‘He Doesn’t Get Enough Credit’
- Report: Boston Celtics Upgrade Gordon Hayward’s Status Ahead of Game 3 vs. Miami Heat
- The Insane Amount of Money Miami Heat Reward Erik Spoelstra After Every Single Win
- Report: Celtics Had to Separate Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown Before ‘Physical Altercation’ Could Occur
Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Said They Received Backlash After Birth of Their Daughter
- Updated: December 2, 2018
The joy felt by Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade and his wife Gabrielle Union was marred somewhat by backlash over the way in which their daughter’s birth announcement was presented. That resulted in the couple explaining to Oprah Winfrey their reasons behind taking that approach.
Critics had commented on the fact that the 46-year-old Union was pictured in a hospital bed holding the infant, despite the fact that the child was born to a surrogate.
Union emotionally explained to Winfrey that her past struggles with infertility were connected to the decision to use the photo:
“I’m already getting choked up. It’s still hard to let go.”
View this post on Instagram
? When I wake up in the mornin' love And the sunlight hurts my eyes And there's something without warning, love Bears heavy on my mind Then I look at you And the world's alright with me Just one look at you And I know its gonna be A lovely day A lovely day ? A LOVELY DAY ?????? We are sleepless and delirious but so excited to share that our miracle baby arrived last night via surrogate and 11/7 will forever be etched in our hearts as the most loveliest of all the lovely days. Welcome to the party sweet girl! #onelastdance #skintoskin @dwyanewade ❤?? ? by @awesomeedd
Last year, Union published a memoir that explored her struggle to have a child of her own, a period that included what she said were eight or nine miscarriages. Those issues were related to her being diagnosed with Adenomyosis, a type of endometriosis that only occurs in the uterus.
“For three years, my body has been a prisoner of trying to get pregnant — I’ve either been about to go into an IVF cycle, in the middle of an IVF cycle or coming out of an IVF cycle.”
In September 2017, Union had described to PEOPLE how her relationship with Wade, which included their 2014 marriage, changed her mind about having children:
“I never wanted kids. Then I became a stepmom, and there was no place I’d rather be than with them.
“So then I thought, ‘Well maybe I might be good at this, and maybe this is something I want to explore.’ And I’m madly in love with this dude, so [having a baby] is something we could look into.”
The naming of Wade and Union’s daughter didn’t come immediately, but Wade explained on social media the origin of the unique name of Kaavia James Union Wade:
Wade and Union’s interview with Winfrey will air on OWN on Dec. 8.